Just hired my first photographer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mitchell, Jul 9, 2008.

1. I just went throught the interesting experience of hiring a photographer for my daughter's Bat Mitzvah. I've spoken to this guy at several previous parties about camera gear and the photography business. I finally got to see some of his work from a party he did for a good friend of mine.

His work is pretty good. He shoots with a D200 and is willing to give me all of the files from the day. Sadly, I've got better glass and bodies that will be sitting home that day. I'll just have to remember that I am a dad that day and not a photographer. Going to be a tough one!

This was an interesting experience for me.

2. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    It's like being a doctor and having someone else treat a family member.

I'd be nervous as heck shooting for a photographer. That's probably why I'll never turn pro. I'm happy being a well equipped amatuer. I'm too picky to go into business even though my wife is encouraging me to start up a small photography business.

3. Removed my comments:redface:

But since I'm here again, better glass doesn't necessarily make for better pictures!!! But Yes,I fully understand your frustration--hopefully you'll be to busy being the proud papa!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  4. once the day begins, i believe that you'll forget all about the photographer.... as you should

one of the most special days in a dad's life
    so many more important things going on than the pictures

Mazel Tov and enjoy

5. True.

I'm just glad he's willing to give me all the raw files for me to play with after the event.

6. My best to your daughter and you. I hope you both enjoy the day, and that your photographer provides some great shots.

7. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    You've made the right decision. I remember asking my Stepfather why he wasn't going to shoot at my wedding in 2001. He said he wanted to enjoy the wedding and be a part of it instead of working. I completely understand why now. Try not to think about it and enjoy your daughter's day!

8. Wise decision . . .

. . . hiring the photographer that is. I made the mistake of agreeing to be the main photo guy at my son's wedding. My memories of the wedding are all framed by a viewfinder. :frown: Never again.

9. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    You sound like my father. He did the same thing for my wedding and my sister's last year. Now he gets to do it again for another sister's wedding in a week and a half.

I'm sure it'll be fine. We all ended up with some great pictures. Fight the urge... :) 

10. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    You must know your limitations. I use another photographer for my kids portraits

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.