Just hired my first photographer

I just went throught the interesting experience of hiring a photographer for my daughter's Bat Mitzvah. I've spoken to this guy at several previous parties about camera gear and the photography business. I finally got to see some of his work from a party he did for a good friend of mine.

His work is pretty good. He shoots with a D200 and is willing to give me all of the files from the day. Sadly, I've got better glass and bodies that will be sitting home that day. I'll just have to remember that I am a dad that day and not a photographer. Going to be a tough one!

This was an interesting experience for me.

It's like being a doctor and having someone else treat a family member.

I'd be nervous as heck shooting for a photographer. That's probably why I'll never turn pro. I'm happy being a well equipped amatuer. I'm too picky to go into business even though my wife is encouraging me to start up a small photography business.

Removed my comments:redface:

But since I'm here again, better glass doesn't necessarily make for better pictures!!! But Yes,I fully understand your frustration--hopefully you'll be to busy being the proud papa!

Last edited by a moderator:
once the day begins, i believe that you'll forget all about the photographer.... as you should

one of the most special days in a dad's life
so many more important things going on than the pictures

Mazel Tov and enjoy

Removed my comments:redface:

But since I'm here again, better glass doesn't necessarily make for better pictures!!! But Yes,I fully understand your frustration--hopefully you'll be to busy being the proud papa!
once the day begins, i believe that you'll forget all about the photographer.... as you should

one of the most special days in a dad's life
so many more important things going on than the pictures

Mazel Tov and enjoy
True.

I'm just glad he's willing to give me all the raw files for me to play with after the event.

I just went throught the interesting experience of hiring a photographer for my daughter's Bat Mitzvah. I've spoken to this guy at several previous parties about camera gear and the photography business. I finally got to see some of his work from a party he did for a good friend of mine.

His work is pretty good. He shoots with a D200 and is willing to give me all of the files from the day. Sadly, I've got better glass and bodies that will be sitting home that day. I'll just have to remember that I am a dad that day and not a photographer. Going to be a tough one!

This was an interesting experience for me.
You've made the right decision. I remember asking my Stepfather why he wasn't going to shoot at my wedding in 2001. He said he wanted to enjoy the wedding and be a part of it instead of working. I completely understand why now. Try not to think about it and enjoy your daughter's day!

Wise decision . . .

. . . hiring the photographer that is. I made the mistake of agreeing to be the main photo guy at my son's wedding. My memories of the wedding are all framed by a viewfinder. :frown: Never again.

You sound like my father. He did the same thing for my wedding and my sister's last year. Now he gets to do it again for another sister's wedding in a week and a half.

I'm sure it'll be fine. We all ended up with some great pictures. Fight the urge... :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom