1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Just joined the D700 FX Club

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by dubaiphil, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Well I've just taken the plunge. After getting a D90 2 years ago and learning the ropes I've been looking to go full frame for a while, but I've been waiting like many for the next gen D700.

After what's happened recently in Japan I thought I'd take the plunge and pick up a D700 before it's too late. From users reports it's going to be more camera than I'll ever need and I personally don't want to be paying for a video feature I'll never use.

The official dealer locally had sold out but I managed to find (the last in Dubai?) body in a second dealer yesterday and negotiated down to $2300US. Considering the prices that are skyrocketing at the moment I think I've bagged myself a good deal.

After opening the box and mounting a Carl Zeiss 35mm I thought I'd fire off a couple of test shots. Zooming in revealed full frame crisp clean loveliness with a lens I already adore but now with the benefit of being a true 35mm - it's going to get a lot more use on the D700 body!

Then a scare. I went to change the ISO and noticed that out of the box it was set at ISO2500 - I'm gobsmacked!!!! :biggrin:

2. cooldad

cooldad

May 11, 2008
    North Carolina
    :)  Congrats on the d700 and what sounds like a good deal in today's market! Gotta love that high ISO performance!

3. sektor 11

sektor 11

Oct 12, 2010
    cincinnati
    Who is jealous? THIS guy. Have fun with it!

4. Phil, Welcome to the club! You will love it. The first thing I noticed was the view finder. Its magnificent! The better VF alone will enable to you do more than your D90 could.

Now for my tips:
    1. Trust in your ISO. It is better to bump the ISO higher to get a properly exposed picture, than to keep the ISO lower and fix it in post.
    2. Buttons Buttons Buttons. Use them all. Go into the Custom Settings menu and setup them to your liking. It helps to be able to stay in the shot and just push a button, rather than having to look at the LCD to go through the menu.
    3. Custom Banks. Set them up and name them what they are for. I have one titled "Basic" for when I give the camera to someone who doesn't know as much as I do. "Scott" for when I shoot. Manual mode with focus attached to AF-ON button. Not shutter release. "Weddings" for when I am in doors at a venue so I can use a combination of flash, and Auto ISO.
    4. DOF. Learn to love it. the D700 makes everything special! I shoot a lot with my 50 1.4G. I focus on the eyes (f/1.4), and the ends of the Eyelashes are out of focus. Work it. It is your best friend.
    5. Shoot in RAW. The colors that the D700 puts out, are fantastic! shoot in RAW mode to take full advantage of this. I shoot in 14-Bit and Love it!
    6. Just Keep Shooting! In order to fully understand what this massive, beautiful piece of machinery can do, PUSH IT! TO ITS LIMITS! you will learn what it can do and how well it does it.

And if you ever have any questions, throw them up here on the Cafe.

5. Thanks for the info, Scott. I had to swap out the focussing screen on my D90 to use the manual focus CZ 2/35, but the viewfinder is beautiful with no problems focussing now!

14-bit RAW was set up straight away - I'm there.

Its funny but owning a D90 pushed my photography in a certain direction. A great tool to learn the ropes with, and I will keep it going as well, but the ISO performance on the 700 is going to open up more options for me. It's surely going to stand me in good stead for the next few years!

6. Rob Zijlstra

Rob Zijlstra A Koffie Drinker

Nov 5, 2008
    Netherlands
    Congrats! You'll not regret this one second.

Indeed, can't recommend that one enough!

7. Congratulations, it is a fine camera!

8. Kalison

Kalison

Sep 7, 2010
    Utah
    Congratulations, its a wonderful camera that will give you wonderful images!

9. Congrats, it's one of the best cameras out there right now.

You'll start loving it more and more after working with it every time.

10. there is only ONE reason i am waiting for the D700 replacement... so i can get another D700 cheap!

seriously, i can imagine myself using THIS camera forever.

11. Congrats on your D700, I think it's the best 12mp camera ever made... hope it gives you years of enjoyment. Looking forward to seeing more of your images :smile:

12. welcome to the crowd :) 
    If everything goes well you will never sell this body

13. absolutic

absolutic

Apr 26, 2009
    Los Angeles
    D700 is my favorite camera, I sold mine some time ago but could not live without it, sold D300 and D7000 and got it again. D700 is all I ever need. Well that and my Panny LX3 when I dont want to carry my D700 :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.