Just messing around tonight...with lighting.

This one was PP'ed...ever so slighly...(i.e. eyes, lips, eyebrows, teeth and softness to the face)

beth_CHAIR2.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent job with the lighting Seneca. I was going to suggest a reflector in front of and below your subjects chin for the dark spots under the eyes, but it may be hard to keep it out of the frame. Maybe another light for fill? Also, get rid of those wrinkles in the background - either move her further away from the background, iron/steam it. :biggrin:

Also, is there only one arm on the chair? I can't see the second one...and is that a rubber band or string on the arm (of the chair) that's showing?

Nicely done. How nice to have such a beautiful young lady at your disposal to work with. My only nit would be the rubber band that Keith mentioned on the right arm of the chair.

Excellent job with the lighting Seneca. I was going to suggest a reflector in front of and below your subjects chin for the dark spots under the eyes, but it may be hard to keep it out of the frame. Maybe another light for fill? Also, get rid of those wrinkles in the background - either move her further away from the background, iron/steam it. :biggrin:

Also, is there only one arm on the chair? I can't see the second one...and is that a rubber band or string on the arm (of the chair) that's showing?

In this image I am using one umbrella light vertical to where she is sitting. To the direct other side of her is a 6x4 white reflector.

Agh!! I can't believe I didn't see that crazy rubber band. Funny thing is I don't know why my son constantly wears rubber bands on his wrist. He started doing it years ago when he saw Charles Barkley wearing one. So I am constantly picking up rubber bands. :frown:

This was my mother backdrop I got yesterday afternoon...so as soon as I unwrapped it, up it went on the background stand. You're right tho...I should have the steamer out.

Nicely done. How nice to have such a beautiful young lady at your disposal to work with. My only nit would be the rubber band that Keith mentioned on the right arm of the chair.

Fair enough...thank you so much for your comment. Beth is my son's girlfriend and she is also the baby of her family. She told me one day that her parents took lots of pictures of her brother and sister, but she has hardly any of her. Of course when she said that I was like..."whoa baby...she is going to be my model!!" So whenever I need to test the light or just take images of her, she is willing and ready. Of course I give her every image I take of her.

I think it looks nice, Sen. I'm no expert at lighting so I can't be too constructive with my criticizm. Just keep practicing! I need more subjects to practice with, so you're lucky in that regard.

VERY nice my lil Texas Supermodel ;)

What do you use for skin softening etc.? Is it hand retouch or Nik software? If either of these two, lemme tell ya about some software that saves time and kicks BOTH's *** (imo).

I'm not a good one to ask as far as people pics go, but could she use a little more light on her face? Seems the rest of her is brighter. Otherwise, I like it :)

VERY nice my lil Texas Supermodel ;)

What do you use for skin softening etc.? Is it hand retouch or Nik software? If either of these two, lemme tell ya about some software that saves time and kicks BOTH's *** (imo).

I am a Nik believer. I love that software. I need to buy the Vivezza...but I was hoping it would come down in price. Hate to spend $225.00 on ONE FILTER! Tell me more about the "Kick A software"...:biggrin:

Nik is great Seneca but it's an overall filter and to my eye softens too much of the rest of the image.
I have started using "Imagenomic Portraiture" over Nik. I love all the rest Nik does (hey it even has cool name ;)) but for skin (if not needing hand touching) I find the Imagenomic cannot be beat thus far;

http://www.imagenomic.com/pt.aspx

D

Debbi

Very nice, Seneca! Oooh, to have a model at my disposal. Anyway, my one and only nit (other than the rubber band) would be there seems to be a halo around her head. No one else has mentioned it so maybe I need to get my eyes checked or better yet, out of this office and call it a week.

I thought that was the girlfriend. I was hoping she was a paid model so she could afford a pair of jeans that's aren't torn to shreds. :biggrin: Joking aside, I agree with the other comments. It's a very nice shot and very flattering to her although just like you she needs no flattering. Time to send your son on a rubber band retrieving mission around the house.

I think it's a great shot. It's funny how we are so focused on the subject and miss things in the surrounding. Good job.

I think it's a great shot. It's funny how we are so focused on the subject and miss things in the surrounding. Good job.

Gosh that is sooooooooo true Phil. I can't tell you how many things I miss all the time. Little things too.

Hey Seneca. It's actually a pretty nice shot for messing around with lighting. As for the wrinkles, a spray bottle with warm water works wonders. I don't even look at my steamer anymore.

snip ...

Keith,

I can see the other arm, but appears the model is blocking the side light which looks to be maybe about level with the seat.

Regards,

In this image I am using one umbrella light vertical to where she is sitting. To the direct other side of her is a 6x4 white reflector.

Seneca,

Beth is a great model to have available! Psoe is very good. IMHO, I suggest that you have the side light too strong and her body overly bright compared to her face/head. Maybe that was your intention, but I rather prefer to see the face draw my eyes rather than the general body in a pose like this. The lighting gradient across her face is fine. I also suggest that the umbrella caused the bright glare from the chair to Beth's left, which is distracting. Maybe a slightly different angle would correct this. Hope this rambling makes some sense. :smile:

Regards,

IMHO this is a great shot - you're lucky to have such a beautiful and willing model!

To the right of her head - just above the middle of the chair - there seems to be a brighter spot in the background, maybe the pattern? I find my eye drawn away from her face. Then again, I need to calibrate my monitor....

Seneca, you did a good job with the lighting, not hot spots and no real harsh shadows.

For the background, I actually sprayed mine with a mist bottle and let it dry..it pulled the wrinkles right out of it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom