Just named a new beetle genus after my wife

Although for "normal" people that might sound a bit odd, my wife, being an entomologist herself, was very happy. It happens more often that species are named after you, but a new genus is something rare.
The genus is called Shaverdolena, which is a combination of her family name and the short version of her first name (Yelena, or Helena).

Here is the quote of the derivatio nominis from the original publication:
"ETYMOLOGY: The new genus is dedicated to my wife Helena Shaverdo in appreciation for her endearing character and in thankfulness for enriching my life far beyond the scale a husband might take for granted."

The new genus is based on two (also new to science) species from southern China.

Shaverdolena leigongshana (China: Guizhou Prov.)
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Shaverdolena kantonensis (China: Guangdong Prov.)
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The male genitals of the two species look rather weird, but, as I said, my wife is an entomologist, too, so she likes it even better :lol:

Cheers

I'd personally take flowers but hey, as long as this is what keeps the missus smiling, go for it!! *LOL* Incredibly sharp photos, and I learned something new today: the naming of bugs has nothing to do with the bug but has everything to do with "the wife"! Congratulations Yelena on your newly named genus.

Harry, if could you only seal one in plexi or amber, and put it on a little black silk string for her neck, at least she could show people!

Very nice, Harry! Congrats on the new genus named for your wife. Those are some interesting looking bugs - how large are they actually?

gbenic said:
That's way cool! The pictures are great as well!

So, new bugs are popping up? Are the old ones dying off, or are they going to rule the world someday?

Thanks.

The process of speciation is very slow. New species or genus just means that the taxon has not been named yet by a scientist. And there are many still to be named. Estimations say that only about 10% of all life forms are as yet described (i.e. named and placed in the system) by scientists.

Of course, many species go extinct even before any scientist had a chance to treat them, mainly because of habitat destruction (e.g. deforestation in the tropics).

Still I think that insects will outlast humans.

regards

TOLady said:
I'd personally take flowers but hey, as long as this is what keeps the missus smiling, go for it!! *LOL* Incredibly sharp photos, and I learned something new today: the naming of bugs has nothing to do with the bug but has everything to do with "the wife"! Congratulations Yelena on your newly named genus.
You can bet that she also loves flowers, but getting a species (or even a genus) named after you is regarded as an honour.
In our institute we are even seeking name patrons who pay a lot of money so they can choose a name for the new species. Some call this scientific prostitution but since the budgets for this kind of science are constantly being reduced, this is the one of the means of getting some additional funding for our work.

Harry, if could you only seal one in plexi or amber, and put it on a little black silk string for her neck, at least she could show people!

Well, if I have enough spare specimens this might be possible. The specimens on which the description is based (type specimens) are too precious to be transformed into some kind of jewelery and are usually preserved in a museum collection as reference specimens for future studies.

Cheers

drueter said:
Very nice, Harry! Congrats on the new genus named for your wife. Those are some interesting looking bugs - how large are they actually?

Don, thanks. The beetles are a bit bigger than what I usually capture; they are 12mm and 11mm long.
Cheers

Bob the Spiderman said:
You are a great big 'SOFTIE.'

Ha, Bob, you justed outed me :lol: :lol:

Pam has a question for you. Are you going to name your new child after a beetle or a beetle after the child?

LOL! But you know, some dedications can be really funny. I had a colleague at university, her name was Nadja Wielebnowski. Just for fun I once stated that if she got married her beautiful name might get lost and that there was a beetle genus named Naddia. So if ever I found a new species of that genus I would name it after her to preserve this combination of names. So it happened years later and now there is a Naddia wielebnowskiae, BTW - the most beautiful species in that genus.
A picture of that beetle now embellishes the wall of her office at Brookfield Zoo in Chicago. Or does she have it in her flat, I don't know.

Side note: Should we get a girl, our favorite name is Nadja - just coincidence?
Cheers

You old fraud!!!!
I have just realised that this marvellous romantic gesture has nothing / NOTHING to do with your love and devotion for Helen.
It is to placate her for spending $725 on the Nikkor 85mm Micro PC you bought from Regit with the money she had put aside for the new baby's clothes- room decor- toys etc. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
By the way, I notice that your postscipt has changed. Does this mean that you have now grown up? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
LOL Bob F.

Harry,
O I think that is wonderful.

Actually a goldsmith could make a beautiful necklace charm of that beautiful beetle :>)))

Really special Harry.

Many beautiful insects, beetles etc in nature.

Hey Harry,

With all of the server problems over that last day, I haven't had a chance to say congratulations to your, your wife, and your new bug. 8)

Quite an honor I would say. I'm still in awe of the shots that you get of these little guys too. You must be proud, and justifiably so. :wink:

PGB

I'm quite impressed too. I think your job would be fun. However all the genus' I would name would be like, Bill, Frank, Harris, you know pesky critters. :)

My congrats to you both!

gho

Wau, quite the honor! That's totally awsome. Figures the genus would be in arthropoda though :D

Thanks, my friends. I certainly did not expect such an overwhelming echo on this post. Well, for people who are not permanently involved in this kind of stuff it is surely an extraordinary thing.

Describing new species has become quite a routine for me, I have already named 7 new genera and about 200 new species.

Patrick: This job isn't always fun. Although it is one of the cheapest ways of doing serious research, it is not much appreciated by the upper levels in the hierarchy because there is no immediately evident economic output, thus the financial support for us taxonomists is constantly decreasing. These guys don't see that this is a non-profit science and that the money is made by the applied scientists who work with our data.

The fun part, however, is that my travelling to Asia is mostly paid for by my employer.

Jacki: I will commit your suggestion to my wife. She also describes new species now and then (different kind of critters, though: Predacious Diving Beetles) and maybe she can make use of it.

I have been honoured many times this way by numerous colleagues. Currently, I have one genus and about 40 species named after me. That is the result of my extensive field work. Scientists frequently name new species after the person who collected the specimens.

Anyway, I feel very pleased by your nice feedback.
Cheers

Latest threads

Top Bottom