Just not funny since I'm not a birder

Last Monday I spent the day in Edgefield, SC shooting locations to accompany a magazine article someone has written about the town.

I was doing a series of shots near the end of the shoot. There was one shot that I wanted but to get the angle I wanted I had to shoot over a large round hedge. I was up on my toes behind the hedge getting the first few shots. All of a sudden there was a loud hissing sound behind me and within inches of my feet.

There were two actions in competition as to what could happen next. Wet my pants or fall forward into the hedge. I took a peek behind me and there was the ugliest duck right at my heels.

As soon as my heart rate dropped I took a couple of quick shots of the critter that snuck up on me. I didn't find it to be one bit funny but one lady has now dubbed it the Attack Duck of Edgefield.

47386340-e1fe-02000154-.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Atttack Duck??

Man, if that thing's looks isn't enough to scare off any intruders, it's hiss sure would be! What did you do right after the hissing encounter, run? ;)

Larry,

It's a Muscovy. They are ugly at first glance, but they grow on you, with their subtle iridescent colors. They are great flyers too.

Hope you didn't diddle in your drawers, and glad you didn't fall off the ledge. 8)

Frank

If running in place qualifies as running, then yes.

I was thinking (later) that maybe it was looking for a snack handout rather than a romantic interlude. At least it wasn't pawing the ground (or whatever ducks so for "get it on" attention).

Diddle drawers no, hosed hosen would have happened sooner but no confession given.

I'm sure that you usual birders can feather your tales with close encounters.

Well, there are several at the local pond that will eat right out of your hand. 8)

As for close encounters, just check out some of my shots on my web site (if you have a month or so to dig through them all :roll: ). I have shots of these guys coming at me from 300 - 400 yards, and landing right at my feet. Guess they know when you have food. :?

Hosed hosen, that's pretty good alliteration....:)

Frank

All it wanted Larry was a little love and a peak at what you found so interesting :lol: :lol:

Seriously, however, did you look around where you were standing to see if perhaps there either was a nest or the beginnings of one? Perhaps you missed the "No Trespassing, Ugly Ducks Only" sign :wink: .

Great story. But don't you find it at least a LITTLE bit funny now, in retrospect :?:

Larry, I too have often thought that this had to be the ugliest duck around. In a local pond here this duck is always the easiest one to photograph but then nobody wants to look at the image after you have taken it.

greyflash said:
Larry, I too have often thought that this had to be the ugliest duck around. In a local pond here this duck is always the easiest one to photograph but then nobody wants to look at the image after you have taken it.

Gordon, are you trying to give me a not-so-subtle hint.... :lol:

Frank

Flew said:
greyflash said:

Gordon, are you trying to give me a not-so-subtle hint.... :lol:

Frank

It's the old sayings Frank, if the shoe fits wear it. :roll: :? :lol: :lol:

greyflash said:
It's the old sayings Frank, if the shoe fits wear it. :roll: :? :lol: :lol:

Ouch!! Ouch!!

I think I got these blasted things laced up too tight.... :lol: :D 8)

Frank

Retief said:
All it wanted Larry was a little love and a peak at what you found so interesting :lol: :lol:

Seriously, however, did you look around where you were standing to see if perhaps there either was a nest or the beginnings of one? Perhaps you missed the "No Trespassing, Ugly Ducks Only" sign :wink: .

Great story. But don't you find it at least a LITTLE bit funny now, in retrospect :?:

I was at the edge of a parking lot and mowed grass so no nest around. Still don't find it funny. Going back a few days-
Thursday afternoon - Nextel grand opening shoot. To bed that night at 10 pm. Up an hour later and left at midnight for the Smokey Mountains. Arrived Friday 6 am at a dam waiting for sun to come up. Shot all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Home after 10 pm Sunday night and downloaded and culled photos until 12:30 am. Back up at 7 am to leave for Edgefield and that ugly duck sneaks up on me soon after noon. Little sleep and loud hissing just don't mix for humor. I could reason with missing the sign if there was one.

Great shot at a tough time.

If something was hissing at me, I don't know what I would do.

Alligators and Snakes in Fla.. EEEKKKK

Yes they are ugly but fascinating.

Gale said:
Great shot at a tough time.

If something was hissing at me, I don't know what I would do.

Alligators and Snakes in Fla.. EEEKKKK

Yes they are ugly but fascinating.

It was just a shot to show the wife why I would need extra starch in my slacks or bleach in my britches. Mostly to prove what it was the snuck up on me. You know, it did have that gator hiss sound (except for the ones in Gainesville. They mostly make a vomiting sound ((-FSU card carrying alumni member)). Caught many a snake in Florida (and elsewhere). No problems with them except for one rattle sound incident (also at my feet but didn't bother me).

Latest threads

Top Bottom