Just one from Saturday's wedding

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Electromen, Oct 5, 2008.

1. The church lights were all on. I severely underexposed the background just enough to show the outline of the cross. I use a remote SB-800 with a snoot, controlled by an SU-800 to light the bride. All handheld.

2915788559_68769df17f_b.png

2. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Greg,

Very nice effect! I'll bet the bride loves it.

Does Nikon make a snoot for the 800 or is this a 3rd party product?

3. Lumaquest makes it.

Here

You can make one with some velcro and black paper

4. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Greg - VERY dramatic! Great image.

5. Thanks Leah, All I did was take several shots and kept increasing the f/stop until the church was dark but could still see the cross. Then I turned on the flash and adjusted it until the bride looked right. I wish I had more time, everyone was in a hurry to go party.

6. jgmankos

jgmankos Guest

Is that a single image or a composite?

Either way...very nice. I shoot the occasional wedding ... something to keep in the back of my mind :)

7. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Greg - thanks for the info about how you did this - I love your work so am always interested to find out how you do things.

8. This is one image. I kept increasing f/stop without flash until the church was dark but the cross was still visible. Then I brought in the bride and used the flash with snoot.

9. artona

artona

Jul 9, 2008
    UK
    sorry guys but I don't. Its from a wedding not a photoshoot. You can't see the bride's eyes, she has a double chin, the low angle extenuates her slightly larger size and there is a cross growing out of her head

There is always one so shoot me down lol

stew

10. Thanks Stew,
    I thought about moving the cross off to the side, I'll try to clone out the double chin. I appreciate your honesty.

11. Is this better?

2918511292_db2f9e0eb4_b.png

12. artona

artona

Jul 9, 2008
    UK
    Hi Greg

In my opinion much better, I reckon in the brides as well. I might also consider slimming th ebride down as well. No desrespect meant to her but brides always see themselves as a size 10 (UK size - slim)

I often do this and never to this date has a bride complained. I have enclosed an example, this bride was pregnant

bridal-example.jpg

ps don't really like how the groom is standing but this is a grabbed shot as they were leaving the church

stew

13. artona

artona

Jul 9, 2008
    UK
    ps I forgot to mention - the removal of the double chins was excellent

14. I may slim her down. This is the only shot where she is straight on, all the other shots I made sure to turn her shoulders and hips. Both sides of the family are large people. Compared to them she's tiny.

15. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    I love it. Nice photoshoppery, too.

16. Thanks Leif,

and now I know a new term "photoshoppery"