1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Just one from Saturday's wedding

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Electromen, Oct 5, 2008.

1. The church lights were all on. I severely underexposed the background just enough to show the outline of the cross. I use a remote SB-800 with a snoot, controlled by an SU-800 to light the bride. All handheld.

2915788559_68769df17f_b.

2. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Greg,

Very nice effect! I'll bet the bride loves it.

Does Nikon make a snoot for the 800 or is this a 3rd party product?

3. Lumaquest makes it.

Here

You can make one with some velcro and black paper

4. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Greg - VERY dramatic! Great image.

5. Thanks Leah, All I did was take several shots and kept increasing the f/stop until the church was dark but could still see the cross. Then I turned on the flash and adjusted it until the bride looked right. I wish I had more time, everyone was in a hurry to go party.

6. jgmankos

jgmankos Guest

Is that a single image or a composite?

Either way...very nice. I shoot the occasional wedding ... something to keep in the back of my mind :) 

7. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Greg - thanks for the info about how you did this - I love your work so am always interested to find out how you do things.

8. This is one image. I kept increasing f/stop without flash until the church was dark but the cross was still visible. Then I brought in the bride and used the flash with snoot.

9. artona

artona

Jul 9, 2008
    UK
    sorry guys but I don't. Its from a wedding not a photoshoot. You can't see the bride's eyes, she has a double chin, the low angle extenuates her slightly larger size and there is a cross growing out of her head

There is always one so shoot me down lol

stew

10. Thanks Stew,
    I thought about moving the cross off to the side, I'll try to clone out the double chin. I appreciate your honesty.

11. Is this better?

2918511292_db2f9e0eb4_b.

12. artona

artona

Jul 9, 2008
    UK
    Hi Greg

In my opinion much better, I reckon in the brides as well. I might also consider slimming th ebride down as well. No desrespect meant to her but brides always see themselves as a size 10 (UK size - slim)

I often do this and never to this date has a bride complained. I have enclosed an example, this bride was pregnant

bridal-example.

ps don't really like how the groom is standing but this is a grabbed shot as they were leaving the church

stew

13. artona

artona

Jul 9, 2008
    UK
    ps I forgot to mention - the removal of the double chins was excellent

14. I may slim her down. This is the only shot where she is straight on, all the other shots I made sure to turn her shoulders and hips. Both sides of the family are large people. Compared to them she's tiny.

15. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    I love it. Nice photoshoppery, too.

16. Thanks Leif,

and now I know a new term "photoshoppery"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.