Just Ordered a 24" LCD Monitor...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dking99, Aug 20, 2008.

1. dking99

dking99

Aug 19, 2008
    Rockville, MD
    My HP PC currently supports a 1280 x 1024 screen resolution. The Samsung 24" LCD monitor I ordered is 1920 x 1200.

Do I need a new video card? The tech lady here at work says no, my PC will update/sync itself with the monitor. For some reason I dont believe her at all.

Can someone please confirm if I need to buy anything to support the 1920 x 1200?

Thanks!

2. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

I believe so. I'm not 100% sure though.

3. The new monitor will work with your system - just might not work at it's highest resolution depending on the graphics card your system has. That is assuming that the new monitor has VGA connections or your PC has a DVI connection (or you could might be able to use a VGA/DVI adapter)

4. dking99

dking99

Aug 19, 2008
    Rockville, MD
    So I will probably have to buy a card to supprt the 1920 x 1200...I do want to maximize its full resolution.

Any suggestions on brands, website, and expected price to pay?

5. monkay

monkay

Jun 12, 2008
    New Jersey
    i don't believe you'll need a new graphics card. it's not like your current one can only display an image up to a certain resolution and then just decides to stop at a certain point. once you plug in your new monitor and boot, the card should calibrate with the monitor and you should be able to change the resolution settings from the settings after right clicking on the desktop.

i'm about 90% sure of this, but if i'm mistaken, Nvidia or Ati are the companies you want to look at.

www.newegg.com will have your best prices. wouldn't need to spend more than $100

6. When my 19 " monitor puffed out his last breath I bought a 22" Samsung lcd and found out to late that my computer cant cope the resolution.I have a "all in"pc so a new video card wont work.Thank God i have a computer wizzard as friend who solved the problem as good as possible.Problem wil be fixed within a few months when i have my new pc (this one is planned)

7. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Why do you think your HP PC only supports 1280 x 1024?

If it's because the slider ends at the resolution that's only because that's your monitors limit, not your pcs. When you plug in the new monitor, that slider will go all the way to your new monitors resolution limit 1920x 1200

8. dave,
    I just bought the 24" hi res HP wide screen monitor last week!
    nothing necessary to make it work unless its set to HDMI ( I think) mine came with a separate plug for HD that plugged into a different card port on back. This plug is several pins wider, more, as well. Blue plug, plugs into the wider one, which plugs into the back... you follow me? ask the guy who sold you the monitor. I got mine at Best Buy.
    Also, I had to slightly recalibrate my monitor's size using, Control Panel>settings> screen resolution.
    All my pix were stretched just abit to fot the wide screen you know. It looked abit weird.
    It took me 10 minutes to try a few till they looked OK. no big deal. now its fine. you'll love that thing!

9. dking99

dking99

Aug 19, 2008
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks for the reassurance!!!

I do remember hooking up my PC to my 52" Samsung LCD TV...the PC (from what I remembered) offered the 1080 capability...so I was hoping someone would answer my original post this way.

I will post an update later this week when it comes in...

10. Kamil

Kamil

Oct 28, 2007
    Oman
    The slider will only go the max of the monitor resolution if the graphic card support that resolution. Most likely the graphic card will support that resolution but don't take it for granted.

11. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    The slider in my operating system Display box goes up to 1920 x 1440 on my computer. My video card goes to 1920 x 1200. Depending on the card you have, you should be able to find the resolution for your card. It might be sitting in your task bar. Right click on that icon, and see what you have. Most cards today should be able to handle the higher resolutions. What card do you have?

12. Kamil

Kamil

Oct 28, 2007
    Oman
    The slider resolution in the operating system should not go any higher than the video card maximum resolution as the operating system detects the specifications of the video card. The bottom line is knowing what video card you got installed to know it's limits.

13. And if your video card doesn't support the 1920x1200 at the first connection, be sure to update the video card drivers at the website of the video card manufacturer. I just got a new video card and the installation CD had an older version (2 years old) of the software/driver so it didn't recognize my wide screen monitor. I went to the mfgr's site and downloaded the latest driver (only 2 weeks old!), installed it, and it went to full resolution on the slider with no problem.

14. Shizelbs

Shizelbs

Jul 14, 2007
    Seattle
    It should support it. Depends on what your current hardware is, if the drivers are up to date. It might get sluggish depending on what software you are running at that resolution.

15. Why not look up the specs for your current card online? No need to speculate, you can easily find out for sure.

TPM

16. dking99

dking99

Aug 19, 2008
    Rockville, MD
    I am not that good...combination of too lazy and just not knowing what to look for.

I got the monitor yesterday and had no problems hooking it up. I had to restart the computer, but it immediatly recognized the monitor and made the 1920x1200 resolution available.

17. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

pics of the setup?

18. j13jjs

j13jjs

Aug 4, 2008
    Atlanta
    How do you like my setup?

Samsung 40inch 1080p 30,000:1
    Envision 24inch 1080p on top of that (actually 1920x1200)

desktopp.

pardon the mess

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.