1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Just picked up a 28-105

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by asaya, Jul 30, 2008.

1. asaya

asaya

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Anxiously awaiting it's arrival any one have some pics they can post taken with this lens. Wanted a walk around lens a little longer and wider than 35-70. Was going to get a 18-70 but saw this listed so thought I would try this one out.

2. I think that's a brilliant choice for a walkaround lens, Tony... because it's the same one I've made :wink:. I chose it for it's image quality and versatility. It's good for people pics...

as well as scapes...

View attachment 230703

and wildlife.

View attachment 230704

Well, I guess that critter doesn't really qualify as wildlife :redface:.

But what makes the 28-105 very special for walking around is it's capabilities at closeups and macros. It rivals my 60 macro for florals.

View attachment 230705

View attachment 230706

View attachment 230707

3. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Tony, do a search on this forum, there have been many threads on this amazing little lens.

28-105 in Macro mode @55mm. f4.2, ISO 200 1/320 Aperture Priority, no flash.

Mercer6-23-0759.
    NIKON D200    ---    55mm    f/4.2    1/320s    ISO 200

60mm 2.8 Micro for comparison. f3.2, ISO 200 1/500 Aperture Priority, no flash.

Mercer6-23-0760-1.
    NIKON D200    ---    60mm    f/3.2    1/500s    ISO 200

I know, I should have set the 28-105 for 60mm.

4. I am in total agreement with the other members that recommend this lens. So confident the 28-105 makes me feel that when I take it with me I forget that I also own a macro lens. Although not a real "macro", it does exceedingly well with macro photography.
    I have posted several pictures with this lens but I will add another one here for you review.
    Good luck with your new lens.

Barn.

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

5. Chris G

Chris G

Sep 12, 2007
    Ohio, USA
    308398564_JZkuR-O.
    NIKON D50    ---    98mm    f/8.0    1/500s   

I like it as my 'macro' and it is a great general purpose lens, just not as wide as I'd like for "walking around" sometimes .........

6. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Mine arrived today, but I haven't used it yet. Nice photos everyone.

7. You'll love this lens! The nikon lens hood is big and clumsy so I put on a Hoya collapsible rubber hood. I find it a little noisy focusing on a D200 but aside from that it's a great lens for under 200 bucks. Enjoy............

Cheers

Ted:smile:

8. I think it's a "real macro", Bill. It has a max reproduction of 1:2, which meets the commonly accepted standard for macro lenses. And, as Chris G.'s sample shows, it's capable of striking captures in the right hands.

9. asaya

asaya

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Thanks Frank seems pretty like a fairly versatile lnes thanks for the shots,

Alan I for some reason can not get that search button to work I remember seeing a post I think by Uncle Frank about the lens but couldn't get the search button to work. Thanks for your input.

Linda hope you enjoy the lens also

Linda hope you enjoy your lens

Chris wow some pretty sharp shots thanks

Ted I think it will be delivered today "supposedly" lens has never been used and comes with lens hood, caps, and Hoya lens protector. We will see today.

10. For even more macro fun, put a 12mm extension tube on it when it's switched to the macro function. You will get increased magnification and you will be amazed the detail that this little bargain lens can produce. It has kept me from buying a true 1:1 macro.

11. asaya

asaya

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Thanks Jeff seems like the Macro version based on Chris shots are pretty nice already can't imagine what extension tube would be like.

By the way my wife and I love Philly we visit there fairly often we go to a restaurant (Sansomes) I think it is decent sea food clams oytsers etc. We also visited an Italian Restaurant "Ralphs" in little Italy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.