Just put myself a website together

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mart61, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Hi guys,

Been tinkering for the last day or so putting together my first photographic-based website. It's pretty basic but please do take a look and tell me what you thinks:

My Webpage

Thanks

Martin

2. I think it's pretty nice. I like the fact that it loads quickly and there aren't multiple index pages for each subject. Having some nice photos in there helps a lot too. Good job!

3. Nice Layout.

Nice setup/layout. Photos are excellent imho. One suggestion, on your homepage the label for the D80/18-200VR interferes with the text on the left and the lens text just happens to line up with the lens text for the photo. Perhaps making the photo description text smaller and different text than it is now would look less cluttered? Another thing could be to make equipment info on left much smaller and link to respective manufactures' websites. Like the lens name could point to lens section at Nikon (I only suggest this because the lens info/model takes up two lines).

Wish I new something about web design. I'll prolly get a Smugmug account soon.

4. i'm jealous. great setup.

laurie

5. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Thanks for the input. I've tweeked the slight slightly in an effort to tidy it up a little.

6. Great looking site and some really nice shots! Your efforts were definitely worth the time invested.

I've been re-tooling my site as well. It's certainly nothing as slick as your site, but I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. Besides, I'm a complete moron when it comes to manipulating computer code. Thanks for this thread, as I always like to see what can be done with a site.

7. Much easier for the eye to flow/follow now. :smile:

Darned wish I could take pics like you have though; small steps I know I know.

8. I'd take your equipment down on the home page, or if you really want to make another page that lists it. No one that you care about really cares about your equipment - sure online photographers do, but they are the last people that would want to buy your services.

So list it out in the equipment area, and then take down the "I'm new part" too... let the viewer make up their mind about your work.

*edit*
    before I sound like I'm too crabby...

So I'm a part of this metals forum mass email thing, I can get about 2000 hits a day on my site due to traffic from that email if I wanted. However those hits do me no good since they aren't from the area, they aren't interested in buying anything, and they are just other people like me.

You're site is the same way, sure you can go on dpreview and here, then post it in your sig and get thousands of photographers on your site a day... but what good does that do? They are just going to drool over your pics (they are good, that was never in question) and then they will look at your equipment.

Good for them.

However what about someone local who likes your work, or someone that wants to buy a print. Are they going to want to work with someone who has "well I'm new" and "well this is what I use for you other photographers" they aren't going to care about that, they just want to see your work and have a way to contact you.

Save the online forums and stuff for ways to show off equipment and stuff, unless you dive full in like Ken Rockwell or Strobist and run your own forum or help thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2007
  9. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    All good and constructive input. Thanks.

One thing I should point out tho, I'm not a pro. Not even a particularly good amateur. I just like taking pictures and one or two have said my images are not bad. So I thought hey, let's share them.

The part about selling the shots was added as an afterthought really. I wanted a home page but was unsure what to put on it.

Your input will lead me to think further as to what to say on the homepage.

Many thanks - keep up the critique - I can take it...

:smile:

10. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    I've taken a few more tips form you guys and have revamped the site somewhat. I still have a few more tweaks to make (scroll bars, perhaps resizing the thumbnails in the portfolio, and trying to make the site a little more liquid).

It's coming on tho...