Just received my 35-70mm f/2.8D lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Henry Goh, May 5, 2007.

1. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    and I took a quick shot out of my bedroom window with a D80. Really impressed with this lens, especially at 1/3 the cost of the Beast...

[​IMG]
    Henry

2. Your gonna love that lens...cheaper..lighter..and sharper than the beast!!!

3. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    Yep, and with that B&H promo code, it is even better value.

[​IMG]
    Henry

4. What is the promo code this month?

5. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    PSJAN07029

This is what I used..

6. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    Henry-
    Where in the purchase/checkout process at B&H do you enter this code? I can't seem to find the place to do that.
    Thanks

7. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Type it in the search box on the B&H website.

8. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    Ron

Use the code in your B&H search. The code is associated with the discounted item. Don't search for 35-70mm because there is another 2 such SKU but they do not carry the discount.

Henry

9. gugs

gugs

Feb 24, 2006
    Belgium
    this is one of my favorite lenses on the D200 and the F5 (fantastic allround lens on a film camera !!!). I got my mint used copy for USD200:biggrin: impossible to resist at that price. Just forgot the beast...

10. One of my biggest photographic mistakes was selling my 35-70/2.8 along with the 20-35/2.8 and the F801s (N8008). What a great combo that used to be!

Great bargain Henry!

11. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    I have been eyeing the 28-70mm for such a long time but each time I felt the lens was too heavy and expensive. Then when the 17-55mm was introduced, I felt the wide end was better and bought that. Now that the 35-70mm is in my inventory, I have the range more than covered for my studio work. very pleased with this..

Henry

12. jbacc

jbacc

Apr 1, 2006
    United States
    Hi gang,

I agree that the 35-70mm is a great lens at a great price. However, as the owner of both the 28-70mm and the 35-70mm, I must respectfully disagree that the 35-70 is on a par with the 28-70mm. The 28-70 is an AFS lens and I find the bokeh and contrast is nicer on the 28-70 compared to the 35-70. Admittedly, for the price, the 35-70 is a great deal.

Just my .02 cents :).

Joe

13. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    35-70

Henry.
    I just ordered one also. How is the color/contrast compared to your 17-55? Does your copy perform well @F2.8?

Thanks.

14. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    John,

I find this lens to be very good in contrast and color. f/2.8 is fine. I remember owning the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and had to send it back to Japan complaining about the poor f/2.8 performance. After 6 week it came back and there was no difference. I sold it off immediately. This one I'll keep and use for sure.

Henry

15. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    Joe

I don't for one second think an old design push-pull zoom is going to beat an AF-S one of the same class. What we are saying is this is a very sharp and capable lens that optically matches the 28-70mm. As for bokeh, I do not think much of the 28-70mm because at 70mm even wide open, you cannot get very "creamy" blur unless you are shooting an image of say only a person's eye and he/she is standing 10ft away from the b/g. If bokeh is of prime preference, buy a 200mm f/2 and shoot at 14ft and lower..

I think what everyone is saying (excitedly) is the great value they found with this lens.

16. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    Thanks Henry.

17. jbacc

jbacc

Apr 1, 2006
    United States
    Hi Henry,

I agree with you. The 35-70 is a wonderful lens regardless of the price. I just like my 28-70 better :).

Thanks for writing.

Joe...

18. Just got 35-70 F2.8 as well

Henry,
    Just got my 35-70 as well. Haven't yet had a serious chance to play with yet though.

A couple of quick question on the B&H promo codes - where do you find them? & do you know if they can retroactively used?

As you can probably tell from the question I didn't know they existed when I got mine!

Thanks

PS - first time on this forum - do you attach photo's directly to these posts from you computer or do you need to have them on the web & then post a link?

Thanks

19. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    HI David,

I had already put the order in my shopping cart when I decided to read dpreview.com again about this lens. Along that process, I found someone talking about a Canon promo code. I copied his code and changed the last part of the URL from Canon to Nikon. That took me to a page of Nikon promos. I then found the promo code fo this lens. Saved me $30 on a USA model with 5 years warranty. I would have bought the Imported one since I am not in USA.

On posting images, you need to have the picture hosted somewhere else but link it to this place when you post.

Henry

20. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

congrats Henry ....fantastic lens and at present Nikon's best value/bang for the buck, PERIOD!