Just released: Topaz Sharpen AI 2.1.0

this is my dropbox window

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got it, thanks! Is this straight out of the camera or already processed? I'll try to work with it TH.

Plugs,
Image was processed using Capture One Pro from a Phase One sensor of 80 MP. Raw/processed should be irrelevent with respect to output sharpening.

Whatever is causing the crash is NOT this image because the program crashes for me with any other images I attempt to process, even with TIFFs I processed with LR/PS 15 years ago from a D70.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Plugs,
Image was processed using Capture One Pro from a Phase One sensor of 80 MP. Raw/processed should be irrelevent with respect to output sharpening.

Whatever is causing the crash is NOT this image because the program crashes for me with any other images I attempt to process, even with TIFFs I processed with LR/PS 15 years ago from a D70.
Try this. Go into Preferences and change it from CPU to GPU or vice versa.

Grow,
Here is the note I just sent to Topaz regarding my program crash:

From a suggestion I received from a fellow Nikon Cafe member, I tried Sharpen AI with graphics card assistance turned OFF. The program did not crash, but did not appear to do anything to the image as before and after split view showed no changes - I turned noise suppression off and ran Sharpen at 50, same for Stabilize and Focus. In addition to that, the program seemed to cycle much more quickly than previous version of Sharpen AI which took a couple of minutes to do its processing (which used graphic card accelation).

I am willing to send you a copy of my image for testing. Right now it is sitting in Dropbox, so if you send me an e-mail address, I will "invite" you to grab a copy. It is about 480 MB, to way too big to go out through my mail server.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Grow,
Here is the note I just sent to Topaz regarding my program crash:

From a suggestion I received from a fellow Nikon Cafe member, I tried Sharpen AI with graphics card assistance turned OFF. The program did not crash, but did not appear to do anything to the image as before and after split view showed no changes - I turned noise suppression off and ran Sharpen at 50, same for Stabilize and Focus. In addition to that, the program seemed to cycle much more quickly than previous version of Sharpen AI which took a couple of minutes to do its processing (which used graphic card accelation).

I am willing to send you a copy of my image for testing. Right now it is sitting in Dropbox, so if you send me an e-mail address, I will "invite" you to grab a copy. It is about 480 MB, to way too big to go out through my mail server.
At least I stopped it crashing!
Let us know if they solve it.

My computer specs (SSD 2017 iMac):

Application & Version: Topaz Sharpen AI Version 2.1.0
Operating System: macOS 10.15.6
Graphics Hardware: Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 640
OpenGL Driver: 4.1 INTEL-14.7.8
CPU RAM: 16384 MB
Video RAM: 2047 MB
Preview Limit: 4492 Pixels

I did a fresh install of the latest version of Sharpen after deleting the beta version. I closed other unneeded apps but not every one.

Sharpen Preferences (default):

prefs.png

While your image was processing, I had to app switch a few times to do other things, but the processing continued along no problem, no crashes. Took several minutes of course.

Here is a before and after set of crops from your image at 100%. The sharpening is subtle (due to the quality of your original), but you can see it in the trees and shoreline.

Original image was 481MB, final 565.5MB

BTW, is that your yard, ha!

lakeorig.jpg

lakesharp.jpg

Topaz just announced sale pricing for Sharpen through 8/7. A double-discount is available.

The rock pile just above the trees (just to right of of center) is noticeably sharper in yours. Mine still crashes, even with other photos. With no hardware acceleration sharpen does nothing visible, even at 400%

2013 MacPro, 2 graphics cards (middle grade of three that were offered), 64 GB physical memory.

This picturesque lake in Banff National Park is famous for decorating the obverse side of the $20 bill for many years before Canada converted to sheet plastic bills about 5-10 years ago. The valley containing the lake is called The Valley of The Ten Peaks, for each is over 10,000 feet! The other peaks (unshown) are to camera left. On the $20, the trees in front of the viewpoint barely occluded the lake. Trees grow very slowly in the Rockies because their growing season is only about 5 months a year.

Last edited:
The rock pile just above the trees (just to right of of center) is noticeably sharper in yours. Mine still crashes, even with other photos. With no hardware acceleration sharpen does nothing visible, even at 400%

2013 MacPro, 2 graphics cards (middle grade of three that were offered), 64 GB physical memory.
That's the trashcan Mac, right? I wonder if the specs are just too old (?). I also use a 2013 MacBook Air but this test will probably lock me up for too long ;-)

What OS are you running?

Under the Help menu in Sharpen you can choose File Logging, and access the logs to send to Topaz.

Yep, "garbage can". OS is CATALINA 10.15.6. Hardware speed up works just fine in DeNoise AI. They have the pix (although have not yet acknowledged receipt as requested), so they can use their whole suite of developer tools to track down the problem. I did send the Apple crash report as an attachment to the original crash report, some sort of unhandled exception.

Working with a Topaz support person, the problems I had with Sharpen AI continually reappeared after multiple download, delete and reinstall sequences. The first problem was that the application would crash before the selected image was displayed and created a crash report for Apple. That one disappeared after the next download, delete and reinstall. The second problem appeared when I tested all three improvement functions (sharpen, focus and --I cannot remember its name--), first with "automatic" parameterization then eventually with upper limits set by the sliders; nothing was being performed because there were ZERO changes to the displayed image. Two weeks of "Did you do this ..., did you do that ..." (every other day, but nothing over weekends) kind of help finally pushed me beyond my tolerable limit. Finally they pointed me to some software (Zoom maybe) that would permit them to see my screen as I installed and ran the Sharpen AI, OK fine. They had a 1/2 hour budgeted for this session, bur that software was such a piece of crap it would not run after 40 minutes, I KEPT SENDING THEM MY PHONE NUMBER VIA TEXT AND EMAIL, BUT WAS TOLD THEY HAD NO AUTHORITY FROM MANAGEMENT TO INTERACT WITH CLIENT BY PHONE.. This was the straw that broke my back, so I deleted anything Topaz from my computer and was pleased to get my money refunded.

Gonzo, I hate to hear about all of this trouble you're having. After our exchange above where I had no problem at all with your huge image in Sharpen and hearing what you're still going through, I have to ask – do you have access to any other Mac to test on? I suspect some hardware issue with the old Pro. I support these same Pro's (about 75 of them in higher ed, at least when higher ed labs were still a thing...), and saw a few of them have graphics card issues where (for example) the image area in Maya and/or Photoshop would pixelate weirdly.

So I would do some tests on another computer. You need variables before placing the final blame on software.

BTW, when I do examples of results from Topaz and other imaging apps for my blog or even while beta testing, I often use my 2013 MacBook Pro (!). Because that's what I have in front of me on my desk. If I need more graphics beef or speed I can use the 2017 iMac described above, which I mainly use for (employment) work.

Also, Zoom is not "piece of crap" software. I use it EVERY DAY for remote work purposes, attending meetings and taking calls, etc. So do thousands and thousands of others around the world now that we all work from home.

PS: As part of work-from-home I have had to cross paths with that special hell called "Help Desk" (being on the support end) and it is true, there are parameters within which the agent is able to work with clients. The agent is not the boss, and the boss has to set rules for practical or maybe legal reasons.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom