Just rented the 17-55 for a wedding tomorrow... Focus died and another issue...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by stayathomedad, Aug 8, 2008.

1. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    Anyone have problems with the 17-55 all of a sudden losing AF?

I've had this happen to me with the 70-200... and all you do is twist the glass half off and snap it back into place...

First time with the 17-55 and I'm just getting use to it...

One thing is that the focus ring and the zoom ring (whatever you call it) need to be switched.... I keep trying to zoom in using the focus ring... no good!

2. Check the contacts on the lens. It could be a coupling issue which is sometimes resolve when you try to attach it again. You might be able to clean them a bit.

I got used to the 17-55's zoom ring pretty quickly. It actually works out at times when I have the hood reversed. I can barely get my chubby fingers in there to properly zoom, but the hood totally obscures the focusing ring.

3. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    WOW...I couldn't imagine spending that Kind of Change on a lens and having that issue...

4. Check and make sure you haven't bumped the switch on the left side of the camera body that changes the focus mode into manual.

5. I've had no problems with my 17-55 on D100, D70 or my D2X. Hood is always on and the zoom and focus rings are right where they should be. No complaints from me.

6. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    well the wedding is today and I just got back from the hair place...

The glass is nice... but I'm use to the reach of the 18-200... ha!

It only happened that once... and if it happens again I can fix it in 2 seconds...

The focus does seem to be a bit slow... should I expect that?

It hunts and pecks a bit more then I'm use to....

7. Sometimes I move indoors and pull the camera out of the bag for a quick shot. The bag holds the lens with the hood reversed. There's little point in taking the time to pull off the hood and mount it the right way for a few fast shots.

8. He rented the lens, he didn't buy it. I've found that rentals tend to be more vulnerable to having intermittent contact, because of their heavy on-off usage. And perhaps some careless renters.

9. Sure it's a relatively easy hood to put on. But please consider that I don't see any reason to take the few seconds times 2. Unless I think I'm trying to impress friends With a Bigger Lens, why bother? Indeed, afixing a hood indoors tends to intimidate subjects even more.

As I said, it's for some quick shots -- camera comes out of the bag, a few shots, and the camera goes back in the bag. And sometimes it's not just for a few quick shots. If I recognize that there's no flare/glare issue and there's nothing threatening to the camera that a hood would protect from -- it's a waste of time and effort. And if I pull out the camera from the bag a few more times, I don't want to have to keep doing that. I'd sooner just leave the hood detached then.

I agree that to properly use the lens, one shouldn't use it with the hood reversed. But the zoom ring arrangement at least makes it useful for quick shots.

10. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    well the hood is there for a reason. not sure about the 17-55 but some lens opticly bennefit greatly from using the hood. agree with awp though. if you arent going to use it take it off.

11. kja6

kja6

Feb 22, 2008
    Vancouver, Canada
    Sorry to poop on this thread... have a quick question, since we're on the topic of "issues" with the 17-55mm f/2.8 lens.

At what focal length is the front element MOST tucked into the lens? I'm finding that it's at about 40mm. I could've sworn it was most tucked in at 35mm at one point in the len's life.

Free me of my worry.

Again, sorry to the OP - I didn't want to start a new 17-55mm thread just for that.