Just Sent My D7000 To Nikon But Was Wondering ...

I just sent my D7000 to Melville for servicing. I noticed almost from the day I got the camera back in February that the shutter responded in a noticeably different way than the shutter on my D90. I'd read somewhere that that this was 'normal' and just one of the things that I would eventually adjust to. BUT ...

Over time, my "sharp" captures to "ok-but-kind-of-soft captures" has proven to be really discouraging regardless of the lenses used ... 24-70/f2.8 70-200/f2.8 and the 50 and 35 primes. I've read all that I could from as many sources as possible to really give myself a good education on the AF system and camera in general just to eliminate in as much as possible, "operator error" . Nothing I've tried though, gets me the types of images I see captured by the D7000 and routinely posted here.

I've noticed that many times -but not always - when I'm depressing the shutter (rolling my finger on it, not stabbing at it) the focus point selected in the viewfinder will shift its position slightly to the side and at worst, even a bit on a diagonal as the shutter completes its release. Is that "normal"? Have any of you ever experienced anything like that?? The D90 never exhibited that type of behavior so I'm wondering if this might be indicative of a problem that could account for my "soft captures" problem.

We'll see what Nikon says ... I guess I'm just hoping that I wasn't nuts for sending it back, hoping that Nikon will find something and fix it and that in the meantime, someone here might provide a sanity check for me and confirm my suspicion that something might really be wrong. :wink:

Thanks!

In terms of the sharpness, alot of people (Including me) have noted that the D7K seemed a bit soft SOOC. You need to bump up the in camera sharpening to 7. This generally addresses the issue. Well it did for me.

AS for the moving focus point, are you sure your not bumping the D-pad accidently and moving it? What focus mode are you using? If your using 3D, the focus point will move if there is even a slight movement by the subject matter.

Hi Iscariot - Thanks for the reply! :)

For stationary subjects I generally use single point AF-S. For moving targets AF-C with 9 or sometimes 21 points selected.

I should be clear too about the "moving" focus point ... when this happens, the selected focus point itself just shifts its position ever so slightly - but I didn't mean to imply that focus jumped to a completely different point.

The shift in selected focus point position happens with just the one point selected and its just a very slight shift ... just a little bit of sideways (to the left) or diagonal (down and to the left) movement as the shutter is depressed. I've never seen that kind of movement on any of the other Nikon bodies that I've owned so while I've thought that maybe this was some kind of "new normal", I've always wondered if that was really the case.

For stationary subjects I generally use single point AF-S. For moving targets AF-C with 9 or sometimes 21 points selected.

I should be clear too about the "moving" focus point ... when this happens, the selected focus point itself just shifts its position ever so slightly - but I didn't mean to imply that focus jumped to a completely different point.

The shift in selected focus point position happens with just the one point selected and its just a very slight shift ... just a little bit of sideways (to the left) or diagonal (down and to the left) movement as the shutter is depressed. I've never seen that kind of movement on any of the other Nikon bodies that I've owned so while I've thought that maybe this was some kind of "new normal", I've always wondered if that was really the case.
Is the framing changing slightly too? If so, that's entirely normal with VR lenses. When you half press the VR activates and the image shifts as the elements move into place :)

Hi Ausemmao. I know what you mean but framing does not change ... in fact, as I think about it "the shift" happens during the second half of the shutter release - not the first.

So ... I frame my subject, press the shutter 1/2 way, focus locks, I press the shutter the rest of the way but its during this second 1/2 of pressing the shutter that the selected focus point does this little shift ... again on the second half of being pressed. When I see this happen I know before I even look, that the image won't be sharp.

It's a weird thing but if other D7000 folks here aren't seeing or haven't routinely seen this type of behavior, then maybe I did the right thing in sending it back to Nikon to get checked out.

Just to make sure - the focus point itself doesn't change but it actually shifts? (As opposed to the camera selecting a different focus point to the right)

Hi Lurker - yes that is absolutely correct! The point itself does a little shift ... Weird, eh?! Doesn't happen every time but when I see it happen I know I've got a soft image ... I'm guessing that you haven't experienced anything like this?

Imagine that the frame the mirror is mounted in has some play. That would affect what you see. As light passes through and bounces of an auxiliary mirror behind the main one onto the AF sensors it would also impact the distance the light travels before it hits AF (as opposed to the light that will hit the sensor later on). I'm no expert and I don't know if this could seriously be what's going on but it does sound like a possible theory to me. Mirror shifts = AF gets wrong information = image not sharp.

I'm no expert either - not by a long shot but your theory makes perfect sense to me! Now - let's hope Nikon can reproduce the problem diagnose it and fix it. Fingers are crossed! :)

If the image is moving just before the mirror goes up, that sounds like a fault in the miror assembly or the AF array being loose. I'd bet it was the mirror assembly.

I've noticed that many times -but not always - when I'm depressing the shutter (rolling my finger on it, not stabbing at it) the focus point selected in the viewfinder will shift its position slightly to the side and at worst, even a bit on a diagonal as the shutter completes its release.

Thanks!
I bet that's the VR system on the lens actuating. I've noticed the same thing. You don't have your camera at the moment, but if you could try it with VR turned off you I don't think you'll see that happen.

Which lenses are you using?

Thanks everyone! The camera is on the UPS truck for delivery this morning so I should know something soon and will report back as soon as I hear anything. I suspect the mirror too but we'll see ... :)

For those of you who were kind enough to reply and asked for an update ... I just received word from Nikon that they will repair my camera under warranty and that is has a repair status of "B1". According to Nikon, a status of B1 indicates -- Moderate Repair : Minor Parts Replaced.

So, while I still don't know what they found or replaced I feel better that they found something and that I might get a camera back that finally lives up to its potential.

:)

Thanks for keeping us up to date, Wayne...! :cool:

If you would, be sure and let us know how it performs after the fix and
if the invoice has any more details about what was repaired/replaced... :smile:

Thanks wizzard0003 ... I will certainly let you know of anything else I discover. If I have time today I may even give them a call to see if I can get any additional details ...

Yes, this happens to me, but only with VR lenses. Did it also happen with your non-VR primes? For VR, there may be a slight shift as the mechanism stabilizes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom