Just some more....well, you know ;-)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Here are a few more GBH shots from the dam earlier this past week. The Eagles are there on the nest, but not showing themselves anywhere that you can get a clear shot. Hopefully, they will come to our 'tree' once they have chicks. In the meantime, here's all I got. :rolleyes:

Some close-ups with the 300 2.8 + 1.7 TC. Sometimes, this combo was way too much for full body shots.

[​IMG]

This one was severely back lit:

[​IMG]

Even at 60 feet, could only get a head and shoulder shot:

[​IMG]

The light was changing constantly. I think that I missed the WB on this one. A little too much yellow for me:

[​IMG]

An a couple with the 70-200VR + 1.4 TC (handheld):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking. :smile:

2. Wow you are getting close to the near point where the lens can't focus anymore! I'm amazed ou can get so close, what is your method?

Up here they fly away as soon as the see something long and black, probably for good reason most of the time sadly...

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

No doubt about it Frank you get every last detail out of your GBH shots
    for sure!!

super images.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Andreas,

At the dam, fishermen (and women) and GBH's spend so much time in close proximity that the GBH's have become fairly habituated (they have been known to sneak up on a bait bucket and steal the minnows :rolleyes:). They still squawk and fly away if someone moves toward them, but usually not very far. If you sit (or stand) fairly still, they will land within 20 feet when the dam is running and they are in a feeding mode. :smile:

5. Well ok that explains it for sure, Here we would never get this close, I shot pretty much all the time with the TC on the 500mm

6. absolutely brilliant!

7. I like the closeups Frank. The handheld ones are very good as well.

8. Hey Frank.. Great resolution of that DSLR. all the feather detail..

Like #1, #3, #4

Could use a touch of fill flash to put that highlight in the eye and if you use fill flash it really brings out the feather details...
    (Just my 2 cents)

9. Great stuff Gosh I hope I just didn't hear you complaining about them being to close..... that will jinx you for sure

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the feedback folks. These guys are fun to shoot for sure. :smile:

Eric,

I totally agree with the need for fill flash. At the time I was shooting these, it was moderately bright, with the sun coming out every now and then, so I didn't have the flash on. Sure would have helped on the back-lit shots though. :rolleyes:

11. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Frank, Super shots, especially the first one!

I can't get that close here in Missouri on the river, but I can get fairly close if I stay in the car! Birds here are OK with traffic but once those funny things come out of the car, look out, off they go.

Bravo,

Wade

12. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Outstanding Frank !

13. The details in your shots are outstanding. Are you in a blind, or are the birds just not to concerned about folks being are them? The best close-ups I've seen.

louie

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks again folks.

Louie,

I was standing out in the open along the banks of the river in a large boulder field. The GBH's fish along the shoreline, and when they are feeding, they pretty much will fly and land all around.

Regards,

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think the GBH is a beautiful bird.
    Yours sre superb examples Flewww.
    Got a couple my self today.

Harry and, the gang can tell you about the evil Eagle. grrrrrrr

16. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Awesome closeup shots!

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Ladies!! I really love these guys, but I sure will be happy to get down to Viera and shoot some variety. :rolleyes:

18. Thanks for sharing Frank, this guy looks pretty well adjusted to your presence!

19. Actually Frank I even use fill flash when it is bright and sunny out.. For birds it will show off the feather details mush better....

As long as you are within a relatively close range of the birds for the flash to work...