Just some musings, D3 vs D300 Large pics warning

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Commodorefirst, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Every time I use the D3, I just keep shaking my head, I still like the D300 for maximum pixels on the subject, but I tell you, that AF module in the D3 is a notch better......even after the FW update on the D300 which helped it out some.

Examples, of some great tracking by the D3, 70-300VR, ISO 800, at 300mm f6.3 I think, Dynamic 51 pt, AF-C short Lock on, AF constant, center weighted Just threw the combo up to the eye and half pressed saw green and the focus lock instantly and then I blasted away at 9 fps, every shot nearly perfect focus on a tough subject against a tough background, a long long way off.

the noise, well actually the lack of noise makes one think why not shoot at ISO 800 all the time as the lowest ISO. :smile:

first three are full frame shots before the 75% crops, note the busy background and similar colors, and remember I was using the 70-300Vr not my usual 200-400 lens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some 75% crops of the shots, which is making me shake my head even more and making me question the 12 MP of the non cropped D300 files vs the cropped D3 files.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still believe that for smaller and all birds close close up, you still get a better print from the more pixels on subject, but being able to capture them in flight easier is nice. :biggrin:

2. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I thought I was talking about the AF module being better, the crops not being bad and I noted that:

so I am a bit confused by your statement.

The D300 might not have even focused on these shots in time.

3. Hi Wade,

In the D300 manual it even states (forgot which page) that the D300 will have difficulty focusing under certain conditions. Namely, low contrast areas and subjects with lots of background noise. The D300 would been better off if it inherited the D2X AF system in my opinion, which does excellent on super telephotos. Hence why I got a D3 and kept the D2X for those times when I shoot in good light.

4. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Agreed

Even though I have nearly 20,000 shots through the D3, and about that many on the D300, The D3 still amazes me at times like this morning,

5. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    and I do miss my D2Xs, but it had to go to get the D3.

6. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    You can always get a D2XS... that is what I did.

D2XS + D3 = :Love::Love:

7. Another reason I will not sell my D2x. Even though I have the D3 now, IMO, in good light, the D2x is really hard to beat. I also favor, though slightly, the AF of the D2x over the D3. It seems to "lock on" to moving subjects faster than the D3. This can be my imagination, but it sure does seem that way. I don't think there is much more to want when you work with the D2x/D3 team.