Just sprung for a D7100

<excited>
I just ordered one from Amazon along with a 32GB Sandisk 95mb/s card. Plan to put my 18-200 (II) lens on it.
</excited>

I got mine from a local, but they matched Adorama's price
that included 32 G card, spare battery , rapid charger and case.
So far.. shot it only yesterday and it is my sharpest OOC shots that beat my D700 and D300.

I got mine online, but afterwards talking to the local camera store, they are usually much higher and make it real hard to support the locals. The guy was telling me that Nikon now controls the price so they actually had same price as Amazon, B&H and Nikon site. Not sure if it is true, but the taxes on the higher end things go in the hundreds of dollars.

Real Name
Randy
I got mine online, but afterwards talking to the local camera store, they are usually much higher and make it real hard to support the locals. The guy was telling me that Nikon now controls the price so they actually had same price as Amazon, B&H and Nikon site. Not sure if it is true, but the taxes on the higher end things go in the hundreds of dollars.

it is true but some onliners will throw in free stuff or give you back a rebate (B&H and Adorama started a 2% back pgm)....but my fav is now easily photocraft in Va.

Loving mine..
be aware. takes some steady technique and good glass to get the most out of the sensor.. i found any sloppiness on my part was magnified by the D71k as compared to the d7k.. i am getting the hang of the new body and settling in though

I found that AF fine tune was a must on ALL of my lenses.. and upping my normal shutter speed by a 1/2 stop worked wonders..

It's an interesting trend. It seems that the new cameras with higher mps are pushing photographers to improve their shooting techniques in order to get the best out of their cameras. I remember that there was a lot of discussion around the D2x and the need to use good technique.

Real Name
Randy
not to start an argument but reports that the D800 and now the D7100 require more of a shooter or better glass are IMO not accurate or even close to accurate

ditto w/ AF fine tune, another IMO, urban myth

(TG this is not DP or I'd be gettin flamed)

Real Name
Dan
It's an interesting trend. It seems that the new cameras with higher mps are pushing photographers to improve their shooting techniques in order to get the best out of their cameras....
I was "discussing" this on another photo forum. The old rule of thumb of minimum shutter speed = 1/focal length doesn't work for me any more (ignoring VR). I've never had the steadiest hands in the world but they are no worse than before. And I'm finding on the 7100 if I'm shooting less than twice the 1/focal length guideline it visibly deteriorates the image. The past couple of days since getting the camera we've had uncharacteristically good lighting and using a 300mm f4 plus 1.4x TC, I can see motion blur at anything below 1/1600s. And on most shots they look even better if I maintain 1/2000.

This is an unbelievable little camera. Now if Nikon would get off their keesters and put the same sensor and focus module in a D300 style body with higher fps, bigger buffer, etc. :325:

Real Name
Randy
I was "discussing" this on another photo forum. The old rule of thumb of minimum shutter speed = 1/focal length doesn't work for me any more (ignoring VR). I've never had the steadiest hands in the world but they are no worse than before. And I'm finding on the 7100 if I'm shooting less than twice the 1/focal length guideline it visibly deteriorates the image. The past couple of days since getting the camera we've had uncharacteristically good lighting and using a 300mm f4 plus 1.4x TC, I can see motion blur at anything below 1/1600s. And on most shots they look even better if I maintain 1/2000.

This is an unbelievable little camera. Now if Nikon would get off their keesters and put the same sensor and focus module in a D300 style body with higher fps, bigger buffer, etc. :325:

which may explain my comment above since I have always been a 1/2xFL ss shooter or even more.....i will gladly spend ISO for 1/4000 even

Real Name
Dan
.....i will gladly spend ISO for 1/4000 even
Agree, Randy. There's software out there that does a good job cleaning noise and retaining detail. I've yet to see anything that does a decent job correcting motion blur. It's possible that my increasing expectations are making me use higher ss and the 7100 has nothing to do with it. The newly aquired 300f4 is the first non-VR lens that I've shot in a long time during which my photography as improved dramatically. I likely should have been shooting higher ss all along. Ignorance is truly bliss :confused:

Another one I've finally gotten through my head is that it's better to spend ISO to shoot on the right of the histogram than to shoot lower ISO and stack the left side of the histo.

Real Name
Randy
Agree, Randy. There's software out there that does a good job cleaning noise and retaining detail. I've yet to see anything that does a decent job correcting motion blur. It's possible that my increasing expectations are making me use higher ss and the 7100 has nothing to do with it. The newly aquired 300f4 is the first non-VR lens that I've shot in a long time during which my photography as improved dramatically. I likely should have been shooting higher ss all along. Ignorance is truly bliss :confused:

Another one I've finally gotten through my head is that it's better to spend ISO to shoot on the right of the histogram than to shoot lower ISO and stack the left side of the histo.

Def....noise hides in the shadows and underexposed places, but for good light and white birds I still stay on the left, even with lr4's amazing shadows and highlites sliders I gotta protect those white feathers

noise hides in the shadows and underexposed places,
:eek: scary!! :biggrin:

I'm using same shutter speeds and technique as with D300s and D7000. Looking at the pics at the same size (full screen) on my 24" monitor I don't notice them looking any "worse", maybe at 100% they do as the detail is smeared over more pixels, but I don't print or view them at that size anyway.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom