Just stepped up from a D80 to a D7100

After owning my D80 since March of 2007, it has finally begun to cause concern. It has been honorably getting me through my photography degree for the last couple of years in the process, too, so it has seen A LOT of use. But, now it's showing severe signs of trouble and needing repair. I can't be without the camera during classes, so I drove down to Springfield, Missouri today and picked up a new D7100.

Needless to say, I am eager to experience the difference in photographing between the two models. I really enjoyed my D80, and will likely get it repaired as a back-up. But, I have been drooling over the D7000 and new D7100 since they came out. I can't wait to get the chance to shoot with it tomorrow when I go to a local cruise-in car show.

Real Name
Dan
After you see how far the technology has come from the D80, if you still decide to spend money on the D80 it will be pure nostalgia, not logic :smile:

Glad to hear on how impressed I will be with the new D7100. I've been wanting to upgrade for some time, but I needed the push that a failing camera gave me. My D80's focus is stuck on one of the zones to the left of the image, so that was "the push".

Like I say, I may get the D80 fixed for a back-up camera just in case an unforeseen tragedy befalls the 7100. It all depends on the cost of repair. That could be money that goes towards more goodies for the new camera.

Congrats! The big advantage of not upgrading every cycle is massive jumps when you do in features and IQ, and you are experiencing that now!

I see you have no fast prime yet, I'd spend my money on that :)

Hey congrats on your new toy, I'm sure you're gonna love it...
As for the D80, if the repairs are not high dollars, I'd get it fixed, as I still use mine as a walk around camera, as it still does an excellent job...

+1 also on a fast prime, try the 50 f/1.8D, only around a hundred to buy new (cheaper used) and is super sharp...

Real Name
Randy
i'd say leaped
congrats

the d7100 is the most surprising camera I have ever used
it may be plastic, small and light but it can flat out capture awesome images

i-B4Pw76p-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You need to have that D7000 checked... My D7000's (all three) beat the pants off of my D80s and the D7100 puts them all to shame.

Thanks for the replies, gang. I've been pretty busy this past week, but did get a few shots in. I believe the D7100 is handling the low light situations much bettet than my D80. And, well.... the leap in resolution is great!

I will be investing in a fast prime soon. The 50mm 1.8 is looking awfully inviting. If I can start making money off of some images soon, I'll start buying a few other fast lenses for landscape and nature shooting.

I can always rely on you guys for great info, so expect me to pick your brains when I can afford better lenses to complement the camera. Thanks again for the input and image sample!

I would heavily consider the 85mmf1.8g if within budget, sooo much better for portraits and sings with the D7100!

I forgot I had a Nikon 20mm/2.8 lens stored with my N90. I'll have to try that lens out. I don't think it was ever on the D80.

After owning my D80 since March of 2007, it has finally begun to cause concern. It has been honorably getting me through my photography degree for the last couple of years in the process, too, so it has seen A LOT of use. But, now it's showing severe signs of trouble and needing repair. I can't be without the camera during classes, so I drove down to Springfield, Missouri today and picked up a new D7100.

Needless to say, I am eager to experience the difference in photographing between the two models. I really enjoyed my D80, and will likely get it repaired as a back-up. But, I have been drooling over the D7000 and new D7100 since they came out. I can't wait to get the chance to shoot with it tomorrow when I go to a local cruise-in car show.

That is one big upgrade for sure.

Enjoy your D7100.

Latest threads

Top Bottom