1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Just thought I'd share...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by liftoff, Sep 18, 2008.

1. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    a reply I posted on another thread...

"As to the lack of replies around here lately...I feel ya! Unless you are one of the "special" people, lot's of lookie-loo's but most can't be bothered. I've rubbed some folks the wrong way here and so never expect much but I post 'em anyway. This place really doesn't have much going for it. Unless you want to blow smoke up someone's backside, posting for anything resembling help is non-existent, again, unless you are one of the "special" ones and a question like "I found $120, should I buy a 50 1.8 or save a little more for the 1.4" will have people tripping over themselves to answer and it will grow to 10 pages of replies in 15 minutes! Just too tight and cozy around here.

Whew!!! Felt good to get that off my chest!!!

Later..."

2. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Things a little slow in Phoenix tonight?

3. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    :confused: :confused: :confused: 

4. I guess he's talking about replies to posted pictures. I post seldom and it's usually just the dragonfly folks that look. If they have anything to say great, if not great. I spose on any forum there will be a select few that garners oooohs and ahhhhs over every snapshot they show. I've seen it here myself often. With certain members every photo or comment they post is treated as if it comes from 'On High'
    Between the economy, my SEP, running a biz, and a hundred other things I can dwell on, real or make believe, that's the least of my concerns.
    glenn

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008
  5. So Larry...did you ever adopt that cat?

6. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    JHMO YMMV

Is there really a “special or in" crowd at the cafe? Or is it just some have taken the time and made the efforts to build friendships and associations which have resulted in higher levels of cyber interaction.

Building bridges is a way of life :) 

7. Sure there are. You will find them at work, school, politics.....anyplace. They seldom or never ask a question but can always post an answer. Every picture they post is fawned over even if it is thrown into another's original post. They buy an old used blah , blah, blah, lens that many cast aside years ago and post a few shots and suddenly all the followers want one too.

I don't really follow many posts that are picture orientated aside from the macros. I can see the OP's point however after reading where he originally posted the comment and I can agree with him that if the post was authored by many others on this Cafe with the same exact photo people would be offering up raves.

8. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    Th OP has a point. There are certain people here that can post a picture of ANYTHING and they are hailed as the Zen Masters of photography. I actually find it kind of amusing...

9. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    I see this entirely too much here too, but I call it pathetic.

:860:

10. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Sure it happens here, but it happens everywhere. If anything that should strive you to go out and take even better pictures. I've had my fair share of posts of pictures I thought were pretty good or at least interesting and they've drawn no response whatsoever. I really don't care though...because what I find good or interesting may not be viewed as good or interesting to others.

To each their own...I grew thick skin on the Internet a long time ago...IMHO you need to.

11. I just don't get this. Why not be a little less obtuse and just come out with it instead of quoting yourself from another thread.

The way I read this, you are upset that people don't comment on your pictures. So upset, in fact, that you feel the need to belittle this site and many of the people who post here.

Take a step back and look at yourself. You look like someone who is upset that nobody wants to play with him.

Don't like the place or the people here? Why not just be quiet and move on to some other site? What's the point??

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2008
  12. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Well Larry, after reading this post, I chose to look at your last posted photos: "Flowers". You had pics of two flowers, one titled "Sunny nature crap", the second titled "not so sunny nature crap". Why do you think we should post critiques of something you yourself called "crap"?

13. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Might be good advice for anyone, yourself included, if you can't refrain from name calling.

14. Point well taken, but I'm not the one whining over people not commenting on my pictures.

Doesn't it get tiresome to everyone else when we continuously read threads from people who are upset about lack of comments on their photos?

If you want meaningful comments, use the critique icon in your post and ask about a specific issue. I would expect that you would receive helpful comments from multiple people.

15. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

I'm afraid I don't get it either. There are hundreds of members on this site, and not everyone has the same interests. I, for one, never go into the wedding photography thread, because the subject matter does not interest me. Because of this, I will never comment on the photos there.

Moreover, for most of us, photography is a hobby that we indulge in, in addition to having to deal with real life issues, and sometimes real life takes priority over the things we'd rather spend time on. As a result, some people may not post on a regular basis, and if they do, it's certainly not going to be on every thread and on every photo - I don't think any of us has that kind of time to place remarks on every picture posted.

I hate to see you become disillusioned about this site, Larry, but if you truly do not like being here, then maybe participating in another forum would make you feel better and be better for you.

All the best...

16. Thanks for your input, I hope you feel better. One of the things I learned on Internet forums and in life is that if you want a friend be a friend. Here on the Cafe that means to take time to post on others images and interact with members when they ask questions. The more you do this the more you will be accepted and the more comments you will get on your images. On a forum this size I am certain that everyone else can't be wrong and you right. Being critical of the membership as a whole is a sure way to find yourself isolated. It makes folks hesitant to be your friend. Other than the first 25 of us that were here from the beginning of the forum all the rest were new just like you were when you joined. They made friends with others and if you want to call that a clique then so be it. Actually it is just members interacting with those they feel comfortable with.

I hope you will not write off the entire membership just because you did not get a lot of comments on some of your images. Keep posting and remember to be a friend to others. If you do that I will guarantee that you too will feel good about the folks here in no time at all. They are a great group and most willing to share of their time and talents to help others.

17. Just buy an 85 f/1.4 and post a couple pics with it. Instant friends then. :wink:

18. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply!

I've decided that I don't want to be active any longer in the Cafe. Some of the things that happen here really rub me the wrong way and by my participation, it feels to me as if I condone it and I can't ignore that feeling any longer.

There are some very good people here who's opinions I value but my absence will leave no one worse for the wear. For the breast beating rightously indignent, carry on...I wouldn't expect any different from you.

And for everyone, and I mean everyone...take care and take good pictures!

Peace,
    Larry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.