1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Just took a class "Lighting with Speedlights"

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by leahp26, Sep 1, 2008.

1. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Some of you may remember that I had signed up for a lighting class a few weeks back that was cancelled (https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=180139 ) but in a very well managed way. Well, I went back for a class on Saturday called "Lighting with Speedlights"(www.thesopha.com). I promised to report back on what I learnt:

Good:We learnt about
    - mixing ambient with flash light
    - using flash meters
    - using grey cards to WB
    - using pocket wizards
    - simple set ups with one or two strobes
    - "edgy" lighting using homemade grids
    - adding a backlight

Other thoughts:
    - The facility was pretty cool, I don't do any model shots but they have all sorts of backdrops, lighting, cycloramas (spelling??) that you can book if you need to do studio shots
    - Our instructor Bud, was v helpful and is a real photographer rather than just an instructor so we all gave examples of situations we'd like to light and he could give us real life examples
    - It would have been a very difficult/near impossible class if you didn't have the basics of shooting DSLRs down - lots of technical talk.

Here are some shots I took:

#1 One of the interns stood in for us to test adding one strobe approx 30 degrees to camera right, approx 45 degrees up from subject

p564643832-4.
    NIKON D300    ---    85mm    f/3.5    1/125s    ISO 200

#2 Another intern stands in so we can see the effects of adding a backlight (imagine a straight line from the main line through the subject to the backlight dialed down approx 1.3 lower than main light)

p831317465-4.
    NIKON D300    ---    85mm    f/5.6    1/125s    ISO 200

#3 A model had been hired for the afternoon - we had a light set up to camera right and another one inside the doorway to provide some separation

p877478847-4.
    NIKON D300    ---    55mm    f/13.0    1/125s    ISO 200

#4 We then reversed the shot from inside

p1049188748-4.
    NIKON D300    ---    50mm    f/11.0    1/125s    ISO 200

I don't feel like I left the class understanding flash 100% but I think I tried out some interesting stuff (and that I REALLY want some pocket wizards) and that I have a lot more to learn.

The exif data should be available or I can post if anyone would like - open to ALL C&C......

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. It may be just me, but I your photos are posting. Is zenfolio down?

3. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Thanks Randy
    I can see the photos and I just checked at Zenfolio and the gallery isn't locked or anything...
    I also posted another photo under people just a little while ago and Greg commented on it so I don't think it's down
    Maybe I posted the wrong size??

4. Leah, wow, I never knew this place existed. I'm definitely singing up for the next speedlight class.

5. Neat Leah, it's not too far from me either....looks interesting.

6. I emailed the manager there and he said he'd send out emails when the next speedlight class was. He said they'd finish their 08 calender this week, so I should hear soon. When I do I'll give you a shout.

7. Leah,
    i remember your disappointment when the class was cancelled
    glad it happened this time

love the practice shots
    thanks for telling us about the class

can't wait to see you put it all into action

8. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Thanks Greg :) 

I SHOULD have spent the evening doing laundry and tidying our house, instead I have been playing with lighting - will start a new thread as soon as the images upload!!

9. jshurak

jshurak

Aug 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I really like the first two. Are you sure the back light in the second shot is dialed 1.3 below the main light? Its looks considerable hotter.

10. Very cool, Leah. I'm taking a lighting course, too. Half the fun is mixing with the other photographers and talking about gear... kind of like the Nikon Cafe, but in person :) .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.