Just trying this HDR Photomatix thing.

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Vernon t, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Cool effects to be had.
    Hiking in heaven!

Handheld 7 shot burst from -3 to +3 EV in Photomatix.

Hiking about 10 miles today in Gunnison County.

It's a new tool, interesting effects.

2. I would think it's difficult to get aligned photos when you hand hold the camera ...... did you consider a tripod? Or, was that too much to carry on this long hike? The photos look good ...but just a touch blurry to me. Love the swirling sky in #2.

Regards,

3. Ya, well....alligning 5 or 7 handheld bracketed shots.

This was after about 2 hours at 10,000 feet.

A tripod would have been nice....but then....a Sherpa would have been nicer still.

4. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    Have you tried shooting 1 Raw file and adjusting +2 2 -2 ?

5. Too cool.....very well done :biggrin:

6. I recently saw an excellent podcast about Photomatix. I was sufficiently impressed to buy it. I know that it will come in very handy. I think that I will mostly use it on RAW images, finished in over-and under exposed versions. I don't have the habit of bracketing. Then again, this may prompt me to do so given the right circumstances.

7. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I really like Photomatix. Still learning how to create 'normal'-looking images though.

8. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    I like your attempts. As a matter of fact the swirling sky in #2, IMHO, really helps to make the shot more interesting and unusual.

9. I also find these a bit blurry. IMO, a tripod is a must for bracketing shots to be used for HDR photography (and other types of processing using multiple exposures). WHere as it may be a pain to carry around, it makes a huge difference. You could also try to artificially boost and cut EV in a single RAW file and see what you get. Be careful though. Once you get hte hang of Photomatix, it gets quite addicting!

10. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    It's an awesome first shot at it, but a tripod is required.

Great job. That 2nd one is a favorite.

11. If there is a way to adjust how the tones are mapped, I would try to get the white water a little more white. Unfortunately, photomatix saw all that bright white, and tried (successfully) to turn it medium gray.

12. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I think there's a tendency for new users of Photomatix to push everything towards the center of the histogram. While this may reveal more detail in areas that were naturally dark, it destroys contrast where we would normally expect to see tonal contrast. A similar situation occurs with the highlights. For example, in the first photo, the apparent lighting of the white water and the foreground flowers seems inconsistent with the lighting of your model -- IMHO those areas need to be selectively brightened a little. [One test that sometimes helps is to make a quick and dirty conversion to B&W. See if critical objects and areas are distinguishable in B&W.]

13. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Could you post a link to this podcast?

14. Bob,

I agree. Vernon posted the second photo in another forum and I thought perhaps it might be useful to repost my comments here. Normally I don't care for overly saturated colors and warm, but I like it in this one.

"Very, very nice Vernon. It really captures my eye! Only thing I can suggest is that you lighten up the shadows on their faces. Maybe something like the following I quickly attempted ... after all, they are the center of the hiking heaven, correct? :smile: This is a real WOW photo Vernon."

[​IMG]

Regards,

15. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    When I use Photomatrix, I find that using single raw files give results that look more natural. Of course, you still have to be wary of pushing the strength and color saturation too high.

You also don't have to worry about lining up the images like with multiple shots. There are times where its impossible to get identical brackets and using one image on occasion opens up a bigger range of settings and subjects.

Don't get me wrong, I love doing bracketed exposure shots for Photomatrix, I just find it more often that my tripod can't be used or used in time to capture the moment.

Wonderful shots by the way.

16. I find it hard not to turn people into Oompa-Loompas with Photomatix. Have not sat down and spent real effort at it though. The HDR part of CS2 seems to give a more realistic, but more boring rendering.

17. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Great shots Vernon. Excellent use of HDR!

18. Serrator

Serrator

Aug 1, 2006
    Missouri
    Hey Vernon...I just got back from backpacking all over that area at 12,000' (Cottonwood Pass). I just use the tripod as my walking stick so I always have it. Here is one from that adventure (a 3x exposure times two pic stitch):
    2709357044_82706a7e59_b.

19. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    # 2 is way cool !

20. Wow.....great work !! :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.