just up the river

I took this one while camping a while back. There was a river by the campsite and I spent the day following it upstream and got a few shots along the way. After making it b&w I thought it looked pretty good, but there is always room for improvement! Any thoughts?

539282544_485ef55f79_b_d.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's funny, Josh. When you asked "any thoughts?", I immediately thought what a great place to bathe!!!!!!!!! I spent a lot of years backpacking in the high country of Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming and was always looking for a campsite near the river where could get a good bath each night!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Oh, great shot, by the way.:smile:

Hi Josh

Am new to this forum and also trying to get feedback on my photography skills. The technical stuff is fun to learn and is being picked up nicely thanks to these forums.

The bigger challenge for me is the composition skills some of which are inherited some learned.

My only suggestion on this image is that it maybe a little too busy. I downloaded a copy and tried cropping it a little to see if I could simplify it. If you are interested I could include a copy of what I am trying to say by this cropping.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
My only suggestion on this image is that it maybe a little too busy. I downloaded a copy and tried cropping it a little to see if I could simplify it. If you are interested I could include a copy of what I am trying to say by this cropping.

Hello Outdoors and welcome aboard, and I am sure Josh wouldn't mind a cropped version of his photo to demonstrate what you are suggesting. Very polite to ask ahead however, but generally with the critique icon posted a crop suggestion would usually be fine without permission,

And Josh,

I like the image and the location, and I think getting even lower would have helped the image a bit more too. I like the fact that you have a strong foreground subject in the large rock and small waterfall. Perhaps a bit more sharpening for Web,

Also, some very very nice BW conversions on the young woman on your first page on your home site. Really very well done. I like those a lot.

Wade

Here is the cropped image I tried. I am sure there are better choices than mine, I was just trying to simplify / focus the image on the stream.

80487172.gif

Another try, darkened a little and more contrast
80488693.gif

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
and here is another thought, and remember, just some thoughts on a nice image, not right or wrong.

I did a bit of midlevels work down to .9, and the crop in a different aspect ratio,

Cheers,

539282544_485ef55f79_b_d-1.JPG

I like it too, and thanks to everyone for the offered help! (I'd have responded sooner but I just got back into town today) The one I posted here was cropped a tad but I really like the different aspect ratio. I think I have my crop set at 5x7 to make printing easier, but I think I'll have to go in and change it. The wider ratio really look great!:biggrin:

Real Name
Rodney
Nice job, exactly the crop I was thinking of.
and here is another thought, and remember, just some thoughts on a nice image, not right or wrong.

I did a bit of midlevels work down to .9, and the crop in a different aspect ratio,

Cheers,

539282544_485ef55f79_b_d-1.JPG

Hi Josh,

Nice image and BW conversion. Art is in the eye of the beholder. I actually like your version better than the cropped ones.

Regards

RFC

Latest threads

Top Bottom