Just when I'd decided not to get the 850...

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by phazer08, Dec 4, 2017.

1. phazer08

phazer08

Aug 9, 2006
    Waco, TX
    Just when I'd decided not to get the 850...I got a notice today from B&H that it had shipped. I also have a used D500 on the way. I had decided that I could take a vacation for the difference in price and talked myself in to the less expensive D500.

Now I'm torn. I kind of don't want to even open it. There is no reason I should have that camera. I guess I could take a few pics with it this weekend. Then send it back.

First world problems

2. If you try it you won't want to send it back. It is really that good.

cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

3. phazer08

phazer08

Aug 9, 2006
    Waco, TX
    I guess I have to believe you - I have a beagle and she only speaks the truth to me.

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    If you really think you will return it, I don't think you should use it. No need to tempt yourself. And I know I wouldn't be happy buying a new camera with clicks already on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. phazer08

phazer08

Aug 9, 2006
    Waco, TX
    Unless you got to pay the Open Box price :)

6. Hi Fay, thanks for getting back to my son.

I own both the D500 AND D850. I love both and they're not going anywhere. Both produce THE best jpegs SOOC I've ever seen. But it's when you process the .nef's that you'll see a difference. The D850 files seem to have much more latitude (as well as detail) than the D500 files. The D850's noise also looks better, not as "choppy" as the D500. I had a D810 which I sold to fund the D850 and it's .nef files also processed beautifully. If you choose to return the D850, really think about a D810. You'll be a happy camper:).

7. phazer08

phazer08

Aug 9, 2006
    Waco, TX
    Good suggestion Nuclear. I don't know much about the 810...full-frame, right? Then there's the D750 that I've been using for a couple of years. Ditch it and go with the 810/500 or 850/500? Or just the 850?

Bird Photography is my thing now. So I want a lot of reach and fast focusing. The ability to change exposure in a hurry when shooting against the sky. I also like the better wi-fi that the 850 offers. The one on the 750 never seems to work (or it's user error). How is that on the 500 or the 810?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  8. Another fine body I have yet to shoot.

9. The D810 has no WiFi
    The pixel densities (reach) of the D500 and D850 are almost identical. Focusing on the D850 is fast. If you can get by with 7 FPS or 9 with the grip instead of 10 on the D500 you won't need the latter.

Larry

10. I bought and sold a D850 and a D810 in the last month. I need help:)

11. Don’t forget the bird is a lot bigger in the D500 VF.

12. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    What are you chasing, Randy? I LOVED the D810...for South Africa and Florida birding, landscapes, etc. Hope I do as well with the D850. The D500 left me cold. While I got some nice shots, I sold it with no regrets. But my D5 is stunning! Never a doubt that the D5 was the right decision.....for me!

13. I could use a D5 but I'll wait for a D5s
    I'm sure I'll end up with a D850 but I continue to be thrilled with my D500 (when in good light). I shot Bosque Saturday and Sunday, Saturday needed the D4 and a D5 would have been even better. Sunday was cloudless sun and the D500 rocked.
    I never used the D810 other to verify it was ok.
    I'm not sure there's a place for a 45mp camera shooting wildlife, or even 36. The D4 crops great but then I'm usually at 700mm (500 + 1.4). I only want the D5s for that amazing high ISO performance

14. Both are excellent cameras from all I have read . My advice is to make the best financial decision for you as you will turn out great images with either.

15. menbrial

menbrial

Apr 30, 2006
    colorado
    Why you dont send it to me , ill PM you my address

16. phazer08

phazer08

Aug 9, 2006
    Waco, TX
    I can't imagine that my life is going to be dramatically worse with "only" 7 FPS. LOL

That, sir, is very sound advice

I did think if there was someone on here that was waiting I could just pass it along at my cost. But then there's the temptation to take some pics...

17. Ya but you are more likely to cut the wings off... Love the D850 as I don't cut the wings off as much...

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle.

"mom, you still miss even with the bigger frame..." - Georgie Beagle

18. phazer08

phazer08

Aug 9, 2006
    Waco, TX
    Can you explain this?

19. Hi Fay,

The pixel density of the two cameras (d500 and D850) are about the same so with a given lens the FX format covers a wider angle which means if you don't have the bird centered in the frame you have more space around the bird so you have a better chance of having the whole bird in the frame. Later, in a photo editor you can crop the FX down to the size of the D500 but you can choose how to crop the pic. so you have the same image size as the D500 but you can get the wings in too. Hopefully that makes sense...

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

"what mom means is you crop the image in post so you don't cut the wings off with the edge of the frame." - Georgie Beagle

• Like Like x 1
  20. phazer08

phazer08

Aug 9, 2006
    Waco, TX
    Gotcha. Thanks Alexis and Georgie