1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Just when you thought it was safe... She's Baaaack! (with images)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TMR Design, Jun 29, 2008.

1. I had a really great day at the beach with Anna and wanted to share some of what we did.

Lighting setup for both shots was similar with slight adjustments for body position and proximity to the water line.

Shot with the D300 and 35-70mm f/2.8.
    2 Elinchrom D-Lite 2's. Main light firing in to a Photoflex 36" x 48' softbox about 30 degrees camera right. Fill light firing in to a Photogenic 60" Eclipse white umbrella (used as bounce, not shoot through) positioned about 45 degrees camera left. The main light was above and angled down towards Anna and the fill was kicking light straight ahead to open up as much shadow as I could.

Here are the first 2 from the shoot. I have many more to sort through and process. As usual, I'll post more as they're available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  2. wow...
    awesome work
    thanks for the lighting setup info
    beautiful lady

3. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    Great pictures! I'm not sure about the selective colour version though - even though the water is B&W my eyes still think there's colour there. At first glance I wondered what had happened and why the water looked to much grimmer :eek: 

4. Thanks Greg. Glad you like. :smile:

Thank you Tim.

I really did the selective color more for my own gratification to work on the technique but figured I'd show it. I tend to agree with you.

5. Hi Robert - very nice work, as always! I have a different view of the selective color version: It looks a bit like she's somehow standing shin-deep in an artificial backdrop. I did a double-take at first, and I like it for that reason.

6. Thanks Scott. I can see that as well. I find that lighting that really wraps around the subject makes them pop from the background and gives that very surreal, almost photoshop'ed looking effect.

7. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    Wow, what a stunning set. Keep 'em coming...

8. Thank you Jonathan. I surely will.

9. While taking a break....

We had a visitor that wanted some camera time. :biggrin: or perhaps he wanted Anna time :wink:

p767495665-4.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

10. Nice stuff. She is hot!

11. Thanks William. I'll pass the compliment on to Anna. :smile:

12. Nice work Robert, the lighting is well balanced and the Bokeh is perfect. Where were these taken in case I wnat to visit.

Thanks,

13. Hi Gregg,

Thanks man. We shot at a place called Gold Star Battalion Beach. It's a small public park and beach right at Huntington Harbor in Huntington on Long Island.

14. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    Well done Rob.. Nice!

15. Thanks Mike. :smile:

16. Thanks for sharing those great shots! Nice job.

17. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Beautiful shots and a beautiful model. My only critique is the last shot, with the sunset in the background, it almost looks pasted on from a chromakey. The lighting is completely out of sync. Might want to think about gelling your flashes to get a more natural effect, unless this is what you were going for (and it sounds like it might have been).

18. Thank you Alan. I appreciate that.

19. Thank you Pete. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'out of sync'. The shot I got is the shot I wanted so as usual it all boils down to the creative concept and subjective opinion and preference.

20. The first thoughts that crossed my mind were about Anna :Love:.

The next were about lugging around, setting up, and tearing down the studio sized lighting gear. Do you have assistants? And how do you keep the lightstand holding your 60" umbrella upright in the ocean breezes?

It's clearly a major production. Do you have a customer for these pictures, or is it just for fun?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.