Juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron (Yellow?)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

I think I've got the ID right, but I sure would like confirmation. This guy was shot out of a car window, lens resting on bean bag. D2x with 300/2.8VR plus TC-20. Edwin B. Forsythe NWR, better known simply as Brigantine, just north of Atlantic City, NJ.

Thanks for looking and confirming the ID. Hope you enjoy the images!

Gordon

original.

View attachment 105718

View attachment 105719

View attachment 105720

2. Gordon Yours is a Juvenile Black Crown Night Heron

Here is a Juvenile Yellow Crown Night Heron
    Youngycnh1.

3. Gotta love the 300/2.8vr with tcs. Very nice shots Gordon.

4. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Gary. Your image makes the difference obvious, but are the two species that different at all stages before adulthood? BTW, nice image!

Gordon

5. Very nice Gordon. Looks like you're ready for Conowingo!!

6. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Great shots Gordon - too bad it is so far from Va.

7. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks David. Believe me, I do love the 300. Probably the best long lens I've ever had. Trouble is I've got an increasingly bad back, and carrying the 300, even without a tripod, is getting tough. No way I get rid of it, thought, because I can always use it in or near my car. Now I'm looking for a lighter alternative for hikes. That probably means a slower lens, no TC-20 and less length. I'm also thinking of a zoom, because I find they are great for flight shots. Any suggestions? Oops, wrong forum! :redface::redface::redface:

Gordon

8. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Crystall. I sure am ready for Conowingo! See you there if not before.

Gordon

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Mark. Thanks for the nice comments. Maybe you ought to think about coming North for a few days. Hit Bombay Hook in Delaware, cross Delaware Bay on the bridge just North of BH, and head to Cape May, Stone Harbor Point, Brigantine and a couple of other less well known places. If you catch the shorebird migration timing right, you could have a bunch of great shoots. Let me know by PM if you are interested.

Gordon