1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Juvenile Blue Heron

Discussion in 'Birds' started by camerapapi, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Even when I live in South Florida, where they are plentiful, especially wintertime, I have to admit that I do not see juvenile blue herons that often.
    Early morning I headed for a small pond near by with the hope some birds would stop by. Surely, I was lucky enough!
    This young fellow stayed long enough searching for food to allow me to photograph with my D70S and 70-300 VR lens with VR off. The light was a little warmer for my taste so in Photoshop CS3 I changed the color temperature to 5100 degrees Kelvin adding some coolness to my taste.
    Gitzo tripod, Linhof ballhead.
    No filters.

Juvenile-Blue-Heron.

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

2. wonderful shot.
    i rarely have the privilege of seeing a blue heron, i really like the lighting of this icture too.

3. Thank you Jordan for your comments. Blue herons are plentiful all over Florida during the winter months so, if you come here after November you will be in the right place.
    On regard to the lighting, it was early morning light, approximately 40 minutes after sunrise.
    This light plus the late afternoon light are the ones that yield better to this type of photography.
    William.

4. post

That's a really beautiful image.

5. Very nice William!

6. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Beautiful lighting and composition on this one William.

The tip of the bill, the bill, eye, and leg color, and the chin make me think it's a Tricolored Heron, probably an adult, not a Great Blue Heron.

7. That is a fine shot. Nicely done.

8. Thank you all for your comments.
    I would not be surprised Gene if it is a tricolor heron. It certainly looks like a blue heron but since I do not see juveniles often I could have been mislead to think it was.
    Thank you for helping to identify the bird.
    William.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.