Juvenile GBH practicing catching fishies

Discussion in 'Birds' started by helmet155, Nov 8, 2005.

1. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Hey Brett
    2 things

1st excellent capture !!! well done
    2nd not a juvi GBH but even better it's the Reddish Egret (the only one) at Bolsa, right?

2. I wasn't sure if it was the reddish or not, I looked in my Stokes guide to birdies and it didn't have a reddish so I just posted it up as a juvy gbh..

About two inches to the left is that silly yellow barricade ;)

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice shot Brett. I believe that it is a Reddish, but it is actually a Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens), and it does look like a juvi of that species. I often misname this one too, because it looks so much like a Little Blue Heron (Egretta caerulea). :rolleyes:

4. Thanks for the compliments Frank...This guy hangs out in the evenings at Bolsa, I have a lot of captures of him but he's always perched on this silly yellow barricade setup to prevent trash from entering the ocean.

I used as much of RR's pp techniques I could with this one and hope everyone enjoys the image...

-Brett

5. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    A good capture but I think your original ID was correct. A reddish egret has a pink bill with a black tip. Its head is also red.

6. Wow really nice capture. We don't have these here so can't help with ID but it sure is cool looking.

7. Here's another one of him:

[​IMG]

8. JWEAR

JWEAR

Jun 26, 2005
    LA
    2 THINGS one the size the other his very acrobatic fishing --this is a young reddish .I took sometime to id this one before I posted it- you can check with Ben -- nice shots btw