1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

juvenile least bittern

Discussion in 'Birds' started by warren, Jul 5, 2008.

1. I was lucky to get real close to a juvenile least bittern at the Viera wetlands today, a first for me. I must taken a few hundred shots and wanted to share these. This little fella was not at all afraid or skittish, probably too young to know. cc's welcome.

326155357_Ar8Yf-L.

326137435_YJC9T-L.

326137702_tyc34-L.

326137990_Ed3d4-L.

thanks for looking.

2. Very nice Warren. Never seen one that young. I have to go back to visit Viera soon.

3. Outstanding Capture of a Very Difficult Bird!!!

4. Great shots Warren of a bird that's quite hard to find as Gary has said.

5. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Well done,

I particularly like the strong lighting on the top which emphasizes his fluf downy feathers.

nice

Wade

6. Thanks guys.

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Great captures on a tough Subject ! :cool: 

8. Well done Warren. Love the little guy.

9. Okay, I need the rest of the story there Paul Harvey...

About how old is your subject? Not being a birder, I would have thought they lost the fluff with days of hatching, but this one looks much older?

Thanks,

Keith
    North Carolina

10. Hard to say exactly I would presume a few months old. An adult one does not have the fluff and looks like this....

297260271_jAWRK-L.

304845409_C3GKF-L.

11. Very Nice Warren what a treat! Very well done on the exposure, that is a very tought situation to expose for, fill flash?

12. Lucky you warren, catching it with it's fluff.

greats shots.

13. I've learned that luck plays a small role in your work... very small. The talent is all yours. A beautiful series on this young bird!

14. As others have said the downy feathers are greatly shown. In that second pix, my favorite, I would clone out the piece of grass by its head.

15. Slingher

Slingher

Jun 30, 2007
    Titusville FL
    These are great. Love em. I think you are right about this being the same guy I photographed.

16. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    awesome feather detail

17. awesome Warren, what a wonderful find!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.