juvenile least bittern

Discussion in 'Birds' started by warren, Jul 5, 2008.

1. I was lucky to get real close to a juvenile least bittern at the Viera wetlands today, a first for me. I must taken a few hundred shots and wanted to share these. This little fella was not at all afraid or skittish, probably too young to know. cc's welcome.

326155357_Ar8Yf-L.jpg

326137435_YJC9T-L.jpg

326137702_tyc34-L.jpg

326137990_Ed3d4-L.jpg

thanks for looking.

2. Very nice Warren. Never seen one that young. I have to go back to visit Viera soon.

3. Outstanding Capture of a Very Difficult Bird!!!

4. Great shots Warren of a bird that's quite hard to find as Gary has said.

5. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Well done,

I particularly like the strong lighting on the top which emphasizes his fluf downy feathers.

nice

Wade

6. Thanks guys.

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Great captures on a tough Subject ! :cool:

8. Well done Warren. Love the little guy.

9. Okay, I need the rest of the story there Paul Harvey...

About how old is your subject? Not being a birder, I would have thought they lost the fluff with days of hatching, but this one looks much older?

Thanks,

Keith
    North Carolina

10. Hard to say exactly I would presume a few months old. An adult one does not have the fluff and looks like this....

297260271_jAWRK-L.jpg

304845409_C3GKF-L.jpg

11. Very Nice Warren what a treat! Very well done on the exposure, that is a very tought situation to expose for, fill flash?

12. Lucky you warren, catching it with it's fluff.

greats shots.

13. I've learned that luck plays a small role in your work... very small. The talent is all yours. A beautiful series on this young bird!

14. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    As others have said the downy feathers are greatly shown. In that second pix, my favorite, I would clone out the piece of grass by its head.

15. Slingher

Slingher

Jun 30, 2007
    Titusville FL
    These are great. Love em. I think you are right about this being the same guy I photographed.

16. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    awesome feather detail

17. awesome Warren, what a wonderful find!