Juvenile Red Shouldered Hawk

Discussion in 'Birds' started by raian, Jul 2, 2008.

1. This hawk has been having a great time in our woods and fields. He/she come right up to the house as well. Caught these through the bedroom window as I was getting dressed for work. So this is a genuine peeping tom hawk...

324130740_nsttt-L.

324130743_SMubP-L.

324130745_Q2RkT-L.

2. I don't have my bird id book here at work but that mask on its face makes me think this is a Peregrine falcon rather than a juvenile RSH. I'm sure others more knowledgable than I will chime in but I'll look when I get home tonight. Cool shots though.

3. You know, I think you're right, it's a peregrine. I just checked my bird book and it does look more like a falcon than a hawk!

4. Looks like he's doin the hokey pokey

Ya put your left talon in...
    Ya put your left talon out...

5. Nice catch Raian!
    I guess you have an admirer. LOL
    Fred

6. I used to think these were peregrins as well, but we don't have peregrins here (or they are very very rare). I'm pretty certain it's a juvenile red shouldered hawk as it's parents are on the property too, but I haven't captured them yet.

7. russowl

russowl

Jun 9, 2008
    Lima,Ohio
    Just looked in my Peterson's field guide on Hawks,,, it is a juvenile red shoulder

8. I always google my birds ;)  Thanks russowl. I'm pretty certain that's what it is as well as we have several of these birds on the property.

9. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    handsome bird, nice images....

10. russowl

russowl

Jun 9, 2008
    Lima,Ohio
    In my book he/she wasn't as dark but they are setting in a nice shady spot to wile away the afternoon,,, ;-)))) love these birds of prey.....

11. russowl

russowl

Jun 9, 2008
    Lima,Ohio
    Like your avatar Kevin, Sydney Oprea House,,, I was there in 69 and they were just building it then

12. I think it’s a red shoulder from the way the markings on the breast and what I can see of the tail look a lot like this 16-week-old red shoulder I had by my home. Also what is said about the way it flies about in the woods makes me think like a RS as they are masters at that. I think the Falcon has a more flat tail, and more bars or spots of plumage at that age than the Red Shoulder but this is just what I think.
    Lou
    2633912650_4ca8b1fec1_o.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.