Review Kalahari Mata Mata K-11 Canvas Bag mini review

I've been looking for a smaller bag for my Fuji setup. I was looking for a Domke (either F6 or F3) as I prefer canvas bags.

During my search I came across Kalahari camera bags. Kalahari appear to be a German company, and make a range of camera bags in leather and canvas.

There were two that I was interested in which were the Mata Mata K-11 and Mata Mata K-12. There are some Youtube clips showing the K-12 and I could see that it was quite big and spacious. However, I really struggled to pick up any information about the K-11.

I usually err on the side of getting bags that are too big and I end up overloaded with equipment - but this time I forced myself to stay small and decided that the K-12 would be too big, so I decided to take a chance and buy the K-11. I bought it for £49.18 (random price I know) from Amazon here in the UK - they are in stock in the UK and are available next day.

The bag comes with a padded insert, which I am not using because it reduces the available size by a few mm in each direction and I wanted to have as much space as I could - the insert has a twin zipped lid and is quite nice - but too bulky for my purposes. The insert did have a padded base in it, which I removed and put into the interior of the bag. The interior of the main bag is lined - which isn't always the case with cheaper canvas bags. Also there is a strip of velcro running all the way round at the top - this is what I have used to attach the supplied dividers to.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Kalahari Mata Mata K-11 by Andy McDonald, on Flickr

As well as the main compartment, there is a zipped pocket in the top flap (like the Domke F1x and F2).
I've managed to put a filter wallet with 7 or 8 Cokin P sized filters plus adapters and holder, a cable release and a hotshoe spirit level in there. I am not sure that I will stick with this as it makes the flap quite rigid.

There are two expanding pockets at the front, these aren't huge but I managed to get a small flashgun in one (I will be able to fit spare batteries for it there too I think, plus a TTL cable I think) plus a spare battery and SD card in the other (which still had a lot of space).

There are also expanding pockets at each end of the bag, these are larger and would easily hold a lens.

This shows a Nikon 50/1.8E with the end pocket.

The bag comes with a wide shoulder strap, which has a removable non slip pad. It also has a small hand strap which you can remove and a waist belt (with a buckle).

The bag is deceptively spacious. This is what I have managed to fit into mine:
Fuji X-E2 with Cosina 24/2.8 mounted to Zhongyi Lens Turbo II adapter, Nikon 75-150/3.5E, Nikon 200/4AI, Vivitar 19/3.8AIs, Nikon 50/1.8E, Fuji Ef-20 flash. Plus cleaning kit, spare SD card, spare battery, Cokin P sized filters, cable release, hotshoe spirit level and Focus F1 strap (with Arca Swiss clamp).

This is the bag with everything in it:

I tried the bag today and it was pretty comfortable and I'm happy with how much kit I can fit into it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom