Karnak Temple, Luxor, Egypt

We have all probably seen photos of Karnak Temple in Luxor, Egypt, none of them can convey the size of the place! The temple covers 247 Acres and consists of several halls built over a long period of time. It was started before 2000BC and not "completed" until 30BC.
One of the big halls is the Hypostyle Hall it was built between 1313BC and 1225BC by Pharaohs Seti I and his son Ramesses II. It consists of 134 columns that are 82 feet tall.
38853962-L-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

38853892-L.jpg

There was a stone roof over all of the Hall, but most of it is now gone. The stone "gratings" were skylights to let light in and heat out:
38855285-L.jpg

Everything is covered completely with hieroglyphs, with the extra deep ones refering to Ramesses II who did not want his record written over!
38854253-L.jpg

The hieroglyphs were all originally in color. The ones on the underside of the roof panels (out of the sun) still have some of their original 3200 year old colors!
38853825-L.jpg

In front of an older hall is this Obelisque of Queen Hatshepsut that was erected about 1458BC and is 97 feet tall and still standing after almost 3500 years. For size, that is Nan standing at the base!
38853801-L-1.jpg

All were hard to photograph because they were so big. Also it is very hot and very bright sunlight. It last rained in Luxor 15 years ago. :eek:
Bob & Nan

I share your awe facing such a huge complex. I was also there in 1995 and almost did only video recording. Panning up and down, or sideways, was the only way I had found to translate the scale of it. BTW, I don't think the complex was never "completed", it merely came to a stop at one point in time.
I know how the light conditions are hard in there. The only time really interesting would be early in the morning or late afternoon, but when travelling, it's rarely a moment available for shooting.
You did share a nice series of well documented images. Thanks for posting and allowing me to renew my memories.

I was there two years ago this month. I was also overwhelmed with the sheer size of the place and almost gave up trying to photograph it. Your pictures capture it well.

I was more impressed with the hieroglyphics at Esna:

16958972-L.jpg

Hi Bob, Like many of the others who've replied, I was fortunate to visit back in '86. I loved Karnak but that day was a horrendously tiring day starting at 3am and ending about 9pm so by the time of the Sound & Light Show, we were exhausted and practically fell asleep. Egypt is a fascinating country...my favorite was the Valley of the Kings. Seeing your beautiful shots brings back lots of fond memories. Thanks for sharing!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom