Karting - Petit Monaco 2007

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by fireman, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Here are a sample of the pictures I took last week-end in downtown Trois-Rivières during the Petit Monaco karting championship. The races are held on the pier by the Saint-Laurence river. The venue is totally unique and this is one of the few races of the season where the drivers get to race in front of a very big crowd (2 000 - 3 000 spectators).

First, a few of the crowd, on and off the water.

- 1 -
    _D2H5479.

- 2 -
    _D2H5739.

- 3 -
    _D2H5530.

- 4 -
    _D2H5776.

- 5 -
    _D2H5523.

- 6 -
    If you want to see what downtown Trois-Rivières looks like, take a look here !
    _D2H4228.

- 7 -
    _D2H4641.

- 8 -
    The drivers in this category were between 7 and 10 years old. I guess this young fellow borrowed his bigger brother's suit :tongue:
    _D2H4794.

- 9 -
    _D2H4804.

- 10 -
    _D2H4911.

2. Part 2

- 11 -
    _D2H4926.

- 12 -
    _D2H5297.

- 13 -
    _D2H5434.

- 14 -
    _D2H5473.

- 15 -
    _D2H5559.

- 16 -
    _D2H5661.

- 17 -
    This 14 yo fella - Mikaël Grenier - was in Europe the week prior to the Petit Monaco doing trials for the BMW team :eek: He currently races his kart all over Canada and the USA but it won't be long before he graduates with the pros...
    _D2H5732.

- 18 -
    _D2H5961.

- 19 -
    _D2H5728.

- 20 -
    _D2H5998.

3. These are excellent from someone that use to race them... You did a really superb job of catching these little f22's... They are so quick and hard to shoot.... Great job...

I like this shot of the freight train...
    _D2H5661.

4. bunimoo

bunimoo

Sep 6, 2006
    Chicago
    nice pictures...the 14yr old kid is insane!

5. Very nice JP!
    The driver of the #8 image wears a helmet scheme that brings sweet memories...

6. Just fantstic great color perfect framing and sharp as can be this is an incredible series

7. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    These are all very nice , great color and action , nice framing in all of these
    More!!!
    Thanks

8. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi waly-

sweet shots. carting doesn't get any coverage, and it's great to see some wonderful shots of the sport. thanks for sharing them.

ricky

9. Nicely composed and nice colors.

10. I went to the track a few times with my youngest. First, they let him in a "junior" 5 hp kart. It went about 5 miles per hour on a 100 feet long track. That sucked ! Next, we went to the other karting track - we have 2 in the area - and there both my sons and me could race 13 hp karts. That was awesome. The first few laps, I stayed behind the kids and coached them a bit. When I saw they were OK by themselves, I took off like a bullet.

That was soooooooo coooooooool going 70-80 km/h only a few centimeters off the ground. Those little puppies are very stable and stick to the ground really good so when you enter a corner, you can really fell the G's...

I was really after the freight train effect and luckily, I was able to grab this one pretty good.

Thanks for the nice comments !
    Better write that name down: Mikaël Grenier. We'll here more and more about that young chap in the future.
    Both the helmet and the suit were almost identical to Gilles Villeneuve's. He even had the Labatt logo on his back !
    Thanks ! I really worked hard and it paid off !
    Thank you.
    This is a really popular event around here. The younger drivers really get a kick out of racing in front of so many people and race at neck breaking speed 50 feet from the Saint-Laurence river. Unfortunately, it barely gets half a tabloid page in the newspaper...
    Thanks for looking at my pictures !

11. BTW, you can take a look at my complete album right here.

I'm working my tail off in order to finish it tonight.

12. bruheim

bruheim

Jul 1, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I've never seen these race, it really looks like fun. Nice job getting low to the track, so you weren't shooting 'down' on them.

13. Now those are truly some spectacular pictures, sharp, clear, contrasty, and COOL!

14. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Cant ask for much more than that . Superb.

15. Geo31

Geo31 Guest

Nice work from another former kart racer. Glad to see karting getting some quality coverage. Looks like a fun race.

16. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    JP, I thumbed through your gallery also and you've got some great pics.

Maybe add some shot with a slower shutter speed and some panning images to break up the monotony...

17. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Sweet shots JP...I agree with Ray's suggestion on giving a slower SS a try, the motion blur might make for some interesting results.

18. Thanks for the comments. I did try quite a few panning shots but I always had the straw bales at the bottom of the frame that blocked parts of the karts so I deleted them.

I also tried a few slow shutter speed pictures but then I ended up with a greater DOF. I need to get a hold of a decent ND filter so I can manage slower shutter speeds while limiting my DOF.

19. I was amused to notice the left guy's shorts are looking a bit tight... :biggrin::rolleyes::wink:

Awesome! The compostion, DOF, the refection on the helmet.. :eek:
    Not to say I didn't like the others but for me this one stands out.

20. stenbäck

stenbäck Guest

Well i guess most has already been said, but still, i must say i love this series.
    Excellent actionshots, really sharp and with sweet colours. Thumbs up from me! :)