1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Kata 3n1 Question

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by hotelfive, Aug 17, 2009.

1. hotelfive

hotelfive

Jan 12, 2008
    Ontario
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Kata 3n1 - 20 camera bag? I'm specifically wondering if it will hold a camera (Nikon D700) with an attached 70-200 mm lens? I've done some reading and am getting some mixed information on this.

Thanks in advance!

2. DaMavs

DaMavs

Apr 15, 2009
    NE OH
    The 70-200 is 8.5" long on it's own and the main compartment on the Kata -20 is only 8.7" wide (internal dimensions) so I don't think there's any chance it'll fit. The Kata 3N1-30 is 11.6" wide and my understanding is it will fit a mounted 70-200.

My longest lens is the 70-300 VR and it fits in a -30 mounted with lots of room to spare, but it's only 5.6" long too...

3. hotelfive

hotelfive

Jan 12, 2008
    Ontario
    Thanks for the quick reply....Im looking between the 3n1 20 or the 3n1 30. Do you find the 30 to be a "huge" bag or is it fairly compact in its design? It just looks so big next to the 20!

4. DaMavs

DaMavs

Apr 15, 2009
    NE OH
    The 3N1-30 is pretty big - frankly I was surprised at just how big when I got it. It's been good for when I want to take a lot of stuff, but it's a little too big for when I just want to take 2 lenses (1 mounted) and a flash along with a gripped D700. I'm still looking for an ideal sized "small" bag to complement the -30 that can do that. The -30 is great if you're flying and have extra stuff to stow though as you have extra space. It will fit under the seat on a plane too which is nice, especially when flying w/a 7 year old so it wasn't my leg space that was suffering. I recently took it to the ballpark and it was big enough to be a little awkward under the seat - manageable, but on the large, maybe I won't change my lens right now since someone is sitting next to me size & it'll be tough to access the bag in the seat w/o bumping them.

I do like the -30 - very well made, fits a ton of stuff - lots of carrying options (although so far I've just been using it in sling mode - I need to try X mode soon) - easy to adjust on your shoulders/waist. But it is big. Really it depends on what you're looking for - if you want to carry all your stuff, the Kata is ideal & frankly it's going to be tough to find a small bag that'll fit a mounted 70-200 on a D700. That's what I'm finding with a gripped D700 - you just need a big bag to fit it at all...

Overall I'm happy with the Kata 3N1-30 as my "big bag" that I can take w/me when traveling although I often would like to supplement it with a "day pack" and I haven't found an ideal one of those yet that'll contain a gripped D700.

5. xtians

xtians

Nov 8, 2008
    So Cal
    I have the 3n1-20, but kind of wished i got the 3n1-30 instead. I ordered the 3n1-20 without seeing it in person, and was surprised that it was much smaller than I imagined, but it fits all my gear so its fine. When I saw the -30 and -20 together, I saw that the -30 is about as tall and deep as the -20, but is much wider.

6. I have no idea - and this will likely only confuse things - but while the dimensions provide a good basic guideline (you know a 500/4 won't fit), don't always rule out something that is close in size. My SlingShot 200 shouldn't hold my 80-200AFS based on it's dimensions, but it does. My Fastpack 350 shouldn't hold my 80-200 mounted on the D700, but it does!

It sucks not being able to look at the bags and load your gear in them at a store, but often we are stuck with just this problem. If it's close, go small and try to make it fit. If it doesn't work, you can always send it back for the larger version. Remember the old backpacking rule - if you have a bigger pack to fill, you will - and your friends will help :)  I've learned from experience that the more space I have, the more unnecessary crap I tend to carry...

7. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    The D300/MB-D10/70-200 (hood reversed) just fit - but does fit - in the 3N1-30. I am sure it will not fit in any smaller 3N1 bag.

I don't find the size of the bag to be a problem. It is the same as most of my other backpacks. BTW, the combination above gets heavy in the sling bag mode after awhile. If you use the X configuration, it helps and you can quickly release one strap to get an instant sling bag. So far, I have found the "normal" two strap configuration to be the most comfortable but others have liked the X configuration the best for comfort. Regardless, I often use the sling configuration.

8. hotelfive

hotelfive

Jan 12, 2008
    Ontario
    Thanks for the input so far everyone, I appreciate it!

9. Mike66

Mike66

Aug 21, 2009
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Mike
    I have the Kata 3N1-10 and now regret buying it instead of the -20. The D90 with the 18-200 lens fits perfectly in the main compartment with the spare battery and charger. The SB-900 fits in the top section, but there is little room left in the bag for another lens or two. This means I must bring a second bag with me.

I travel a lot and the bag must be aircraft friendly (civilian and military). I like the loop options because I can attach it to a cargo net or secure it in a vehicle with a D-ring.

In 179 days and 298 more posts, the -10 bag might be listed in the For Sale forum. :tongue:

10. I also have the 30 and it fits D3+70-200. I also think that the combination is too large for the 20. Overall I like this bag very much.

11. Seniorbrucio

Seniorbrucio

Mar 24, 2009
    Dubai
    Not sure but I have the 3-N-1 20 and I fit a whole lot of stuff in there. You can also zipper or unzip the barrier between the top compartment and the bottom compartment. Maybe try that.

I fit a D700 gripped. A 35mm, 50mm, 60mm and 50mm Ziess and an 85mm Ziess plus an SB 600 and a angle viewer for the D700 all in the bottom compartment.

It fits a lot more that it appears and the slim profile is what I really like. Its a great carry-on bag for flying. The slim profile is great for navigating big crowds.

12. skinny

skinny

Jan 18, 2009
    FL
    I have the 3n1-30, but haven't used it in months.

I can fit a gripped D700 with the 70-200 mounted, hood reversed. It's a rather tight fit, but you don't have to fight to make it work. I also kept the 24-70, 85/1.8 and SB900 in the bag and various accessories up top. Great backpack. Now I find myself using a roller bag + Boda out of convenience.

13. Mike66

Mike66

Aug 21, 2009
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Mike
    In addition to what I have now, my immediate shopping list includes the 35mm f/1.8G DX and the 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G D lenses. Would you recommend the -20 or the -30 bag to carry this?

14. xtians

xtians

Nov 8, 2008
    So Cal
    I can fit my kit in the -20. The -20 would hold all of your gear just fine.

15. Mike66

Mike66

Aug 21, 2009
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Mike
    Thank you! I had the -20 in my hand while I was in the store and at the last moment exchanged it for the -10...should have gone with the first impression.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.