Kata H-16 & D200 (need new bag)

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by icjogger, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Looking for a new bag to hold my D200, couple of lenses and possibly the SB600. I have heard pretty good things about the Kata bags. I like the holster type style. Anyone have any experience with this one. Thanks!!

2. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    Top notch!

I was thrown from a horse while carrying my D80 and 18-200 in a Kata bag (the sling-type) and landed on the bag. Camera and lens absolutely protected. (I was cushioned a bit, as well...)

3. From everything I've heard Kata's are very well contstructed and do a good job of protecting your gear.....and you just verified that!! I'm just trying to figure out if the H-16 will hold my gear? Which will normally be the D200 w/lens attached, a 2nd lens, the SB600 if room and the normal other stuff....memory cards, 2 D200 batteries, etc!! I'd like to stick a rocket blower in there too!

This is the bag I will use for hiking, walks, etc.....so I'm trying to keep the size/weight down if possible.

Another person mentioned the Kata T-214 as a possibility.

thanks for the help!!

4. Here is a description of the H-14. I personally am not a big fan of holsters
    http://www.cambags.com/canon/300d_10_20d/shoulder/kata_h-14_frames.htm

Have it and LOVE it. I keep a R-102 in the trunk of the car mostly as a storage unit, but when I get out of the car I usually take what I use the most in the T-214. The T-214 will hold a 70-200 VR on the long side of the bag, a D200 with the 18-200 or 12-24 attached, a filter stack, a DR-6 right angle holder, and some other knick-knacks in the main compartment. There is probably room for a small lens (30/1.4 HSM) instead of the accessories, but it will be a tight fit.