1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

katana and Jahma

Discussion in 'People' started by TCMony, Aug 6, 2007.

1. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    Here are two of the models that I had the pleasure of shooting this weekend. I hope you like them. Feedback is always welcome.

D200, 17-55, Sb800, R1 (2 SBR200)

1025456820_3b30704276_o.

Katana
    1025457078_053acbe502_o.
    NIKON D200    ---    26mm    f/5.6    1/15s    ISO 160

Jahma
    1025457048_2f79fe647d_o.
    NIKON D200    ---    55mm    f/4.5    1/2s    ISO 160

2. Flawless. :smile:

PS, they're hot!!!! :D 

3. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    is her name really Katana?

4. Jahma might be real, but I doubt Katana is. I could be wrong, though. :smile:

5. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    Her name is really Katana. She was great to work with.

6. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    These don't really work for me... the background is too dark and the skin looks too airbrushed. I also wouldn't want a ring-flash shadowing with a dark background.

7. bunimoo

bunimoo

Sep 6, 2006
    Chicago
    i agree with taylor...its just a tad too airbrushed for me to appreciate it

8. Image #2 could easily be a magazine shot, I like it. Normally I would agree that your skin treatment was a little excessive but I think it comes across well on #2. Many of todays fashion images are OOT when it comes to air brushing and depending on the magazine, is more than acceptable. I would say on the last image the hot spots under the nose area are not pleasing. Image #1 is just too dark.

I like the fact that you have tried something a little different and commend you for your efforts.

9. I think the OOT treatment works great and think that #2 and #3 (can't see #1) are both excellent! Both of these are magazine-worthy shots. Nice work.

10. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Personally I think Katana would look a million dollars better if she straightened up her neck. Never understand why they think it's even slightly good, photographically speaking, to try and lose their neck.

11. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

#3 is the best result I think. The other two are a bit lacking in frontal (strobe) lighting.

12. Sexy shots

13. Can't see #1, #3 is good but #2 is great. Personally I'd back off the skin treatment just a bit, but what do I know.

14. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    A bit overprocessed but I like the composition and exposure. The girl in the white shirt is posed nicely and is beautiful, but there is something that looks wrong with her head/neck

15. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
    too much skin processing (and eye whites) for my taste... tone it down a little and I think you'll have some winners.

16. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    Thank you for all of your comments. I aploligize to those that do not like them but the three shots turned out how I wanted them to. The first shot was a lot brighter before I desaturated it, the airbrushed look is better then seeing pores and blemishes. I was going for more of the fashion, magazine style look rather then the journalistic or natural look. I will post some shots that do not have major adjustments.

I do love using the R1 flash system for these style of shots because it allows me to light up the model from head to toe without speading the light too wide. You should try it before you dislike it. It is not the same as using a ring flash.

17. Hey, don't apologize if someone doesn't like a particular shot. People are giving their honest critique, which you asked for. As long as they are civil, you can agree or disagree. Try something that was suggested or not. If they turned out just how you wished, Great!

18. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I am by no means a person/potrait photographer, but IMHO, the pose with the hip stuck out to the side and the pelvis tilted forward just doesn't work for me.

Also agree with Adrian, most women look better with their necks showing. I love a nice collar bone, jawline, chin, and an up-do or at least flip their hair back off their shoulders. A little more Grace Kelly, if you like (and less Britney.)

Your lighting looks fabulous! I hope the sunset lasted long enough for you to get all your shots in.

19. Legendz

Legendz Guest

Nice work - very striking photo's

Like them alot

20. Nice looking girls.

As for the lightning if your goal is to mimic onboard direct flash then you achived what you where after. You can see the hard shadows lines under their chins, hands etc. The specular highlights in the face are also the result.

A single sb800 off camera with a reflector would give you some depth and eliminate the hard shadow edges and "hotspots"

Light spill is hardly a problem with a sb800 unit in scenes like this, there is nowhere for the light to bounce back, so the sb800 with a umbrella or sofbox would have evenly lit your subject while you still could have retained the ambient light.

But if this where the look you where after then you should be happy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.