Katydid in the garden

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Lisa, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi Everyone:

Found this large katydid sitting on the garden fence today. With the lack of rain around here this summer, insects have been rather scarce so I was lucky to find him. All taken with the 60mm/D70 and I used the SB800 for two of them. I have no idea what those brown things are.

Close up of his face

I just thought I'd post this one so you could see what they look like underneath. I am more certain than ever that they used these things as the model for the movie "Aliens".
    View attachment 14337

Thanks for viewing.

2. Lisa,

Your macro work is stunning! :eek: Your models are wonderful! How do you do it?? :biggrin: I love the detail, composition, and color. More images please! :smile:

3. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi Crystall:

I thank you! Actually to be honest :biggrin: , it was chilly this evening and this guy probably didn't feel much like moving too quickly. This is the time of year when I see Katydids but only for about a week or so.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Most excellent Lisa. You certainly make the 60mm micro sing. I've been so busy at work (yuck :mad: ) that I've barely had time to enjoy my new 180 Tamron that I got from Crystall.

5. What a beast. This is great ! My first impression was also that they have used this a model for Alien. I am quite impressed by the clarity and the details. #2 is incredible. You make me think I should work with my micro 60mm too, but I found it so hard to master its DOF.

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

so sharp and crisp. every detail is there.
    what a great job !!!

7. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Frank:

Thank you, Frank. I've not had much time lately either and can certainly sympathize. I have not really found the 60mm to be that limiting except for the proverbial butterfly. I have found insects quite approachable. Ants, on the other hand, are difficult because they are constantly in motion and I think I would have a hard time with them no matter what.

Christian:

I certainly agree that the DOF is shallow. I won't drink a cup of coffee before going out and doing macros with this lens, that's for sure. The DOF takes some getting used to and my percentage of keepers is only so-so but when you hit it with this lens, you HIT it! I find the lens easy to use because I won't use a tripod so it suits me well in that regard.

Ben:

Thank you for your nice comments. This is an insect that has quite a lot of detail in it so it has a dramatic effect. However, if he would have jumped on me, I would have lost the camera and lens. He was quite a large one...almost 1 1/2 inches.

8. Woah Lisa, that is an amazingly sharp detailed image. Very nice, especially the 2nd one. :eek:

9. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Gordon:

Thank you....they are scary looking critters especially to my daughter, who found this one :smile: while we were in the garden.

10. Love the second one Lisa, great detail and lighting.

Martin

11. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Martin:

Thanks very much. Do you, by any chance, know what those little brown things are in the first photo? They were hard and stuck to the fence wire. At first I thought the katydid was either eating them or making them...don't know for sure as it started to slowly move away from the spot with all the activity.

Thanks.

12. Wow, impressive! Look at the detail esp in the 2nd image. Scary looking creature.

13. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi Phil:

Thank you for your nice comments. Gotta say I love your avatar! :biggrin:

14. These are great! Especially the last one ;-)

Regards,
    Jonathan

15. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Hi Lisa

Very nice shots! Love that detailed mottled pattern on it's exoskeleton! Like the way you have included the sky in the last. Any special technique or settings for your flash?

16. In looking at the first picture i tought that thing was building a nest or something and I realize that was not a leaf on his shoulder but his wing. Very good capture.

17. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi Steve:

Thank you for your nice comments. As for the flash, I used the SB800 with the diffuser on in iTTL and set it to -1 1/3 EV. I didn't want to blow out his body but if I didn't use the flash, the image was unusable. :smile:

18. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi Gilles:

Thank you for your nice comments. The leaf markings on the wings are really cool....but I have yet to find them in trees. They are always in the open :rolleyes:

19. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Jonathan:

Thank you! I was so shocked when I saw it from underneath, that I just had to take a picture. This was the perfect opportunity as it was walking a thin wire. :smile:

20. I have know idea what they are but I am curious also.

Martin