Keene Valley Barn - HDR's

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by NewBert, Mar 9, 2011.

1. After the recent two feet of snow in the Adirondacks, I took a run up to the Lake Placid area today. For some reason, I'm always drawn to this barn in Keene Valley. I took a few 3-bracket handheld HDR's with the 24-120/f4 lens today (processed in HDR Efex Pro), but I can't decide which one I like best. (EDIT: I added a 4th Image)

So, I thought that I'd ask for opinions here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. New Image
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2011
  2. KJM83

KJM83

May 5, 2010
    Livonia, MI
    I like #2 the most, doesn't seem as cluttered & mountains in background stand out better. I was first drawn to #1 but seems a little cluttered. #3 shadows in foreground seem to be a distraction?
    JMO.
    All three are very nice quality, beautiful lighting, I enjoy looking at your website.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2011
  3. kixsand

kixsand

Nov 13, 2009
    Toronto
    #2 for me as well.

4. PastorB

PastorB

Mar 5, 2011
    Pacific NW
    I like #2 as well. Great shots all around though.

5. shepx2

shepx2

Oct 4, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    #2 best IMO. But I like #3 a lot as well. If the snow wasn't so textured on the bottom left, it would probably be my favorite. But it keeps me looking there, instead of up the line to the barn.

6. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    I like #2 and #3. #3 a bit more than #2 due to the single branch from the tree covering over part of the front of the barn. Nice work with the HDR.

7. yendikeno

yendikeno

Mar 31, 2008
    CA
    I like #3 the best.

8. norcalnewbie

norcalnewbie

Feb 23, 2010
    Oakley, CA
    NĂºmero dos works is the best imo

9. I like # 3 best as well Bert ...
    stopped there myself a few weeks ago ... with this heavy snow we got this week I would have loved to have gotten away for some more Adirondack pics but it took 2 days for me just to open our driveway ...

ron

10. Thanks guys! Of the original 3 images I posted, I think that I like #2 the best. I agree that #1 is a bit cluttered, and on #3 the barn seems a bit too small (far away).

I added a 4th image that required a bit of editing. (Excessive ghosting in some areas). Overall I think that I like this composition the best now (as long as my editing was effective enough. - I'm no Photoshop guru!)

Wondering what you guys think!

Thanks.

11. Maybe its just my monitor but 1 had the best exposure ImO... the snow in the others was a little grey.

12. NYracefan

NYracefan

Nov 19, 2008
    Highland,NY
    I am going with #3 myself. Very nice.

13. Russ_

Russ_

Feb 20, 2011
    New Zealand
    2 or 3 leaning towards 3 though. They give it a bit more context and isolation.

14. Tony Ad

Tony Ad

May 20, 2008
    Fairfax Station, VA
    Tony Admana
    +1

I like pic#3 as well. Pic#2 appears to be a little soft on my monitor.

15. I like the POV of #3, but would prefer a bit tighter like #2. In #1 I'd suggest cropping up a bit from the bottom. As I was scrolling I noticed it seemed to balance better that way.

16. #1 works for me. I like the balance there.

17. I believe I like #2 the most ...the colours and the barn just stick out and hit me better ... composition!

18. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    I like #1 the best. The surroundings really tell the story in that image.

#2 is nice, but I don't like the branch covering the building in that area where there are some details (door, window), and the right side of the image doesn't have anything in it to help anchor the image and tell the story.

19. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    #2 as well

20. mudfoot

mudfoot

Dec 29, 2008
    Bronx,NY
    #1 is too busy
    #2 would've been my top pick but the branch on the barn takes that away. #4 just not feeling that much

So #3 is the winner
    Great job.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.