Keep d40 or d70s

I bought a d90 to replace my d70s (mint condition). My father has a d40. Would he be better off staying with the 40 or moving to the 70s?

i have a D70s and love it but soon upgrading to D300s paul is right the low light with the d70 is its downfall

i would tell him to keep the 40 and get glass

As others mention, the D40 has better image quality, better metering, better AWB, and a bigger, nicer LCD screen.

On the other hand, buy selling the D70s your giving up features like wireless TTL flash, Auto bracketing, and AF with non-AF motored lenses. Plus the D70s is a bit heavier, a bit bigger, better battery life, and is said by some to have a better grip.

So it all depends on what your going to use it for. If you don't plan on going above ISO 400 and/or are going to be using strobes, the D70s would do well. If you want something to compliment the D90 for low-light shooting or just general all around use, the D40 would be great. Just remember that 35 F/2 won't AF on the D40.

if he is the type that would prefer to keep it simple, maybe the d40 is the way to go. its more user friendly with controls and layout, and takes better pics in P/auto.

why not just go out for an afternoon of shooting with him and let him decide with it in his hands? let him use a 50m af too to get a better feel for quality af lenses.

Latest threads

Top Bottom