Keep On Trying!

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Outdoors, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Went on a photo shoot early this morning in downtown Toronto and ended up in the same old place. i.e. a good view of downtown from the waterfront.

I keep taking this same picture to see if I can improve on it or learn how the various seasons / weather conditions change the light.

Here is my latest which is probably over processed but I think I like it anyway. So give me your opinion is the post processing over the top?

original.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2007
  2. I like it a lot! I don't think it's over the top at all.

3. I like it al lot also. I have also thought brighter and more vibrant colors look better

4. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Dan,

Greetings. I like the vibrant colors, but to my eye the sky looks a bit odd. You might try selective color balance for the sky and trying for more of a true blue. I can't look with PS right now but it looks like decreasing green a bit might do it. A truer blue would give great color depth against the orangish buildings.

As always, your mileage may vary...

Cheers,

-Yamo-

5. Thanks folks. Yamo, I know I can count on you to always give me specific feedback. :wink:

I tried post processing another similiar shot only this time changed the color settings on the lower part (i.e. not the sky) of the image. I think this solves the unusual sky color.

Do the geese in the foreground (forelake??) add or take away from the image? How about the wave ripple closer to the shore?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2007
  6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thats better.
    It is so easy to crank up the lovely colors.
    But ya know when the sky just doesn't exist that way...lolol

It is a beautiful image with beautiful light
    I like the birds

7. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Dan,

Greetings. You write:

Sure thing... I always like a good puzzle and enjoy the process of post-processing.

I like the second shot a lot. The geese in the foreground add to the feeling of depth without drawing focus too much. The black point in the first image is a bit more dynamic in setting off the buildings from the sky. In the second image you might try adjusting the black point just a tad (in Levels or Curves in PS or if you have Lightroom just the blacks slider in the Develop module).

Post-processing aside these are both great captures. Great light & clouds.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

8. Thanks Gale and Yamo. I have made the changes but I don't see them being changed here?

If I changed the pictures on my web site and used those links here; I thought these pictures would change in an hour or so?? :confused:

Oh well I guess it's not that important! I got the feedback I need and made the changes thanks to you.

9. Looks like they have finally been changed! They show my latest work now! Funny how it can take quite a few hours before the links get updated on this site!?

10. Very nice!

Anthony

11. My first impression was that the whole thing did seem a bit over the top, but I liked the look. It helped to back off on the sky a little.

12. Not sure if I'm looking at changed or unchanged? Doesnt really matter, I like the colors popping, you are the artist, it is your perspective. The geese in the second add nicely, though a bit lower angle might add, the ripple is a little distracting to me.

13. Thanks Miriam and Douglas. I did another copy removing the ripple and toning down the color even a little more.

Couldn't do much re the angle; I guess I'll try that the next time I am in town.

Here is the touched up image:

Any feedback would be appreciated as I have been spending way too much time on this one and have lost my perspective.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2007
  14. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Dan,

Greetings. Just some thoughts to, perhaps, focus perspective on this photo...

Among the versions that you have posted I would say several things stand out... color depth (strong relationships in blue-orange, yellow-violet, and green-red) that get even better with greater saturation (when you've pushed that). I like the version with the higher contrast clouds. The sky color to my taste is a bit too cyan (reducing green in the sky would bring out blues and violets contrasting wel with the oranges and yellows in the buildings). This would add to the feeling of depth between the buildings and the sky as would the darker contrasty clouds against the brighter buildings. The water when it has true blacks particularly in the foregound corners add to the feeling of depth through the water (as do the geese).

The overall image has this great hour glass shape accentuated by the building height and the reflection giving a sorta implied vanishing point which also adds to the feeling of depth. The clouds make this part of the image for me.

All in all, I think this is a great shot and worth the post processing effort you've put into it.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

15. Thanks Yamo! I really appreciate your feedback!

I suspect my skills in "color management" are not as developed as yours, and may never be given that part of this is about individual potential as much as it is about development. That is OK with me and I don't mind stretching myself in order to get as close as possible to my ultimate potential. (Pardon my "lingo" here, but once a coach, always a coach...).

I think I get the gist of what you are saying so I'll keep trying (not necessarily posting each attempt).

Your encouragement helps me see that it is worth the effort!

Thanks again!