Keep your fingers crossed.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Looks like I will finally get a new graphic lab after 6 years. (currently running G4 towers 900ghz, single processor, with 512 MB memory 50GB HD)

Things have been difficult with our current lab, two years ago we finally went to full OSx and CS from classic and PS 6 and 7, and this past spring I had been fighting the upgrade paths to 10.4.9 and CS2 (not 2.3, just plain 2 due to the memory requirements) Once loaded it works, but it is a pain to get it on there due to CPU firmware updates and issues.

Even using remote desktop client etc. proved difficult, until I finally bought an external firewire HD and installed 10.4.9 as a working machine at home with 10.4.9 and CS and I booted up from the HD on the old CPUs and I am in the process of erasing each CPU HD, full zero, then cloning/updating each machine 1 at a time. Then the install of CS 2 can proceede later.

It is working but takes a good portion of time per machine.

BUT......looks like my ranting and raving at the admin building about why can't we get a piece of the district's tehcnology budget (they live in a windows world over there, and they have a new machine budget in the district of 2.5 million) to update the labs at our three schools, (total cost to district $153,000) so now it looks like 75 20" duo core imacs may be on their way with CS3 Design suite ordered too. (25 per high school art department) 250GB HD and 2GB memory with the 256MB video card, should keep us satisfied for another 5-6 years! lol

Other good news, our old scanners and tablets (9x12) still are working fine and are working under the new CS2 and 10.4.9 without drivers so they should work well with the new imacs,

However, they don't know that I am ging to ask for smart boards in each room so our students can observe the instructors demonstrating on each machine......(after 22 years I have learned how to nickle and dime them a little bit at a time.......)

Need the CPUs and software in hand first!

finally...........something good happening at work!

Wade

Well done. One thing about aging a bit..you learn how to game the bureaucracies. When I was in the Navy in the Pentagon I'd always repeat my IT requirements, then up it yearly despite disapprovals. Eventually the bean counters would relent and we'd get what we needed because we'd been disapproved so many times. My users were delighted with the stuff.

Good luck with the lab.

Rich

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Thanks folks,

We shall see if they arrive by the first week or so of August......

Wade

Yeah whats up with these darn schools anyway.
The CC here doesn't offer much new stuff.
To bad
Hope you get all you need

Latest threads

Top Bottom