Keeping it simple

Discussion in 'People' started by Steved53, May 5, 2007.

1. I've been toying with the idea of picking up a digital rangefinder, for candids/street shooting, and have been reading up a great deal. There are currently only two available, the R-D1s and the M8.

The M8 is a little rich for me at the moment, although if Vieri keeps posting his M8 pictures, he might push me over the edge.:biggrin:

My reading made me realise that the sensor in the R-D1s is actually the same as in the D70, which I own. So, I got to thinking, why don't I just get out and use what I have. Keeping it as simple as possible, I fitted the 24mm f2.8 in order to arrive close to what might be thought of as the classic street shooting focal length (35mm on full frame).

I was able to shove this in the inner pocket of my Barbour (yes, it has been raining somewhat around here), and not have to carry any bags etc.

I have only one photo to show at the moment, and this was using auto focus. However, if your subjects are a little bit farther away than in the following photo, you should be able to get away with setting it at 2 metres and just shoot away. The camera was set at auto iso and auto white balance, although I shot in raw plus jpg. I simply desaturated it in Photoshop to give a more classic candid look.

Locals at the PMU
    (Saturday afternoon horse racing!​

Any comments welcome.
  2. Steve,

Nice pic! I like the feel in B&W. So, did you win anything? :eek::wink:

I like the simple approach that a D70 and a short prime allows: when I go this route, I tend to use the 35/2.
  3. Steve, works for me. I like the way the old man in the middle of the frame is not looking in the same direction as the other subjects.

Nicely observed.

Go on............ get the camera.......... you know you want one and life's too short to worry about it!

Get the M8.......... you only live once! :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. Thanks Phillipe.

No, I'm not a gambler. I thought I might find a guy in there who works for me. He had been 'missing in action' due to the rain. He asked me what my favourite number was, put a bet on the next race, and it promptly lost!

Yes, I was thinking about the 35/2. I always tend towards the long end. Even with the crop factor, you really have to be in someones face to get a half body shot. However, the 24mm does a good job of showing more of the environment surrounding the people, which can be interesting.

With the equipment I have, I tend to end up doing more like portraits, and blurring out the background, so it is unrecognisable. This is different.

Thanks again for looking.

5. Thanks Graeme.

I actually think he had had a few too many glasses of wine! He really didn't seem with it.

Now wouldn't you like to help me on my way by buying my D2H?

I have to confess, I am watching certain things on Ebuy!