Keeping my Gear Safe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lbhs_rwb, Jun 10, 2007.

1. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    So this summer, I'm going to a photography camp...http://www.jou.ufl.edu/sji/

We'll be staying in the dorms, and i'll have 3 roommates. Instead of using the icky canons that they provide, I'm bringing my own gear. The thing is, I need a way to keep it safe. This need not be Fort Knox, but I want some peace of mind, if I leave my camera in the room. I can't afford, not do I want to look like a paranoid freak with pelican cases. What kind of suggestions do you have?

Do you think fitting a small lock on the zippers of one of these would be a good idea? Again, it doesn't need to be inaccessible, just a deterrent. If so, which one do you think is better?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/392367-REG/Lowepro_34736_SlingShot_100_AW_Bag.html
    or
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/392368-REG/Lowepro_34737_SlingShot_200_AW_Bag.html

I'm guessing my parents would buy it for me, so that I can keep everything safe :D

Also, when leaving this in the room, I would use one of those locks with a retractable cord around my bed or something, so the bag wouldn't go anywhere.

2. I still say go with a smaller Pelican case and bicycle cable it to your bed. You could always keep it under the bed.

You can put a small lock on either one of those bags but what is deterring anyone from just taking the bag?

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Micah :

Nick (GonzoBernelli) just recommended this to me last weekend :

It might be an idea, especially if you can tether the pack under your bed or something.

John P.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. The thing that concerns me about PacSafe is that someone can wiggle their fingers through the mesh, open the zippers and remove all items small enough to fit through the mesh openings, maybe even a 50mm lens?? Ideas?

6. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    I was planning on looping the lock around my bed. I have a master lock with a retractable metal cord that can be looped around whatever. Plus with a case like those, it's not so obvious that I'm trying to lock everything up...

And like I said, I don't plan on this being safe against someone who really sets their mind to it. But if a lot of people are over in our room or something, I don't want someone to be able to just nonchalantly swipe a lens or two.

7. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    by the way, if you look at the pacsafe, the cord and lock in the images are similar the the cord on the retractable lock, and the mini lock for just around the zipper that I have.

8. Id go with something more then just a lock on a zipper. You want to make sure that no one can just pick it up and walk out with it. Id get a safe, might be an overkill for you, but you can find rather small safes to fit your gear in. At the minimum, cable/chain it to your bed frame.

9. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Yeah, I would use a cable to lock it to the bed when I'm not in the dorm. The nice thing about using the slingshot, is that I've wanted that bag for a while, and I could just take off the cable and and leave with it for shoots.

10. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    I say use their gear and learn new things. I just started an internship with a new to me newspaper. They've given me a 1D with a 70-200 2.8, 300 f4, 1.4x sigma, and i'm learning tons. Today was my first outing and while I still think my gear is better, its nice to have the alternative. Also, it beats my D2H at 3200 iso:

D2H left - 1D right
    [​IMG]

11. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Well we all know that canon is better at handling ISO...but the other thing is, I know my camera inside out, and since it's not a really long camp, I wouldn't have time to learn a canon, like I know the d50. Also, I've got an assortment of lenses to choose from, while they will just be providing a single lens to use for any project we're shooting.

12. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Oh, I know, but thats the challenge. Canon cameras really aren't that hard to use JUST as good as Nikons and being limited by one lens isn't always a bad thing. the one lens will be capable of being a portrait lens, landscape lens, a macro lens (if you reverse it), a close up w/a lens with enough distortion to make it intersting...etc... PLUS everyone else will be in the same boat, so you'll have something to talk about.

13. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    eh..I dunno. I usually am using my 50mm for the bokeh, as it suits my style of photography better..and as its a photojournalism course, they'll probably provide the canon equivalent to an 18-55.

14. jcdoss

jcdoss

Feb 20, 2007
    Kansas City
    I'm surprised nobody has recommended an insurance policy. Instead of lockable cases, get some insurance. If you're really worried, use the gear they provide.

15. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Someone one the other forums i go to, did recommend that. But just because everything in your house is insured, doesn't mean you should leave the front door wide open. I'm not that worried, I just don't want to leave my stuff out for anyone to take. Anyone who would take it, most likely would see the opportunity and take advantage. But if there is something in their way, the opportunity won't be there.

16. I think you'd be better off leaving your own gear at home and using the equipment they provide. Actually, have you checked with the camp to see if you are even permitted to use your own gear? I would guess that the program is based on the premise that everyone is starting from the same place, using the same exact lens and camera body. This makes it easier for evaluation of someone's work and progress, and it also provides much more of a challenge to the student. Using one lens for all kinds of shooting situations will definitely be an impetus to creativity! It will teach you a lot more about possibilities than if you could simply reach for, say, a macro lens or a wide-angle, whatever.... You will learn a lot when working with just one lens.

Leave your D50 and lenses at home. Use the camera and lens they provide and take advantage of the opportunity to genuinely learn from the experience!

17. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Hate to say it, but A LOT of newspapers use canon equipment (I only say this b/c your are a PJ student). They use it so much b/c of its low light abilities. You won't be using your own gear anyway once you get picked up by a paper or magazine. That camp will give you the chance to learn more by using more equipment. You'd be surprised at what your camera lacks in comparison to more professional cameras (don't take that the wrong way, I'm just saying theres more controls to be learned). You're young, you don't need insurance on a D50 and 50mm lens...When you step up to the fast zooms or bigger bodies, then get insurance.

18. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    I don't really expect to do photojournalism as a career. I like portraits a lot more :D

I'm surprised how many people, at a Nikon forum, are suggesting I use the canon..lol...i'm pretty sure they'll just be giving me a rebel xt, with a kit lens. I talked to one of the people running the camp, and she actually recommended that I bring my own camera, if I have dlsr.

19. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Like I said above, they did encourage me to bring my own camera. And I usually just bring a holster case with me, along with the 50mm lens, so I'm generally limited like that anyways.