'Kelley' First model Shoot, please Critique

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Jon Neely, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    Hello all fellow Nikon Cafe users, well last sunday was my first still model shoot and I must say it was full of learning, first off I will never start at 12 pm again, harsh light sucks, I thought she would be good till sundown, but I have to remind myself these girls are tiny and dont have the same amount of energy as 18 year old amateur photographers, she was done by 4, so I never really got the light I wanted, but I worked with what I had. Please tell me shat i did right wrong, ok or not ok, I am posting a lot of photos (all my favorites) and I have found out I brought an over kill of lenses, next time only 3 for what I do. 50 1.4 105 1.8 and the 11-16 2.8, everything else stayed in the bag. I am going to number them so if you want to reference just list the number and then tell me what you want to say about it. I have another shoot tomorrow, so anything you guys get to me before then I might be able to apply then and show how well I did, I will be leaving for that shoot at around 2pm Pacific time. So drum roll please... Here is 'Kelley' Shot at Hunington Lake Ca. at
    "Indian pools"
    da40eeac.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-10.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-11.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-12.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-13.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-14.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-15.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-16.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-18.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-19.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-20.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-2.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-21.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-22.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-23.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-24.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-25.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-26.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-27.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-29.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-3.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-30.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-31.jpg
    http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x300/jonneelyfilms/Kelley Shoot/Kelleyshoot-32.jpg?t=1222579903
    Kelleyshoot-34.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-35.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-37.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-38.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-4.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-41.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-42.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-43.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-44.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-5.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-6.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-7.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-8.jpg
    Kelleyshoot-9.jpg
    Kelleyshoot.jpg

so that does it, if you guys have any questions please ask, tools, equipment, style anything feel free to ask.

Cheers!

Jon

2. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    I think you did very well for shooting at that time of day. Did you happen to use any reflectors or anything to try to balance out some of the light? It looks like you used the 11-16mm in #2 and #6 which were the two I didn't care for as it makes her head look stretched. Also the ones with the light rings from the lens, I didn't like too much. However I like the poses in pretty much the rest of them. Out of the bunch #18 #30 and #39 stood out.

3. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    I used a reflector on the ones where she is sitting on the log and everything looks hot and you ask the picture "how is she no dark like the shade around her?" that was done with me taking the pic in about 3 feet of the coldest water I had ever been in my life and holding the reflector underwater with my body. this location was at about 9200' Elevation. I'm glad you liked a few of them. I tried to make them look unique, I didnt want them to look like senior pictures, I wanted to make them look like magazine pics.

Cheers
    Jon

4. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Wow - you have a bunch of great shots - took a while to download!

Not sure if that's distortion in say #2 or maybe her legs are really that thin???

She is a super attractive model and I think you have some great images here

5. I like them all except the wide angle ones, it makes her look awful.

6. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    wow, everyone that has seen the prints just cant stop talking about the wide angle ones. But good to know, I am leaving for my next shoot right now, I might take it easy with the wide and push the 50 and 105 a little more, Ill be shooting some new stuff with my new SB800 for the first time tonight so wish me luck.
    Thanks you all for your opinions, and please the more is better, trust me.

Cheers,

Jon

7. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    In general it seems like this was terrific for your first go. I agree that the wide angle shots make her look skeletal, but that's probably considered a good thing by some folks.

3 makes her feet look like flippers because you've got the wide angle
    I'd like to see a different reflection in her glasses in 15.
    In 16, I'm not loving the pose, that you cut off her foot, or the circular light spot (or reflection) to the right of her head.
    In 26, the cuff falling down on her right hand seems odd.
    31 seems like an unflattering post, particularly the resulting muffin topping.

I really like the head shots.

8. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    For critiques you might want to narrow it down to a much smaller set of pictures... maybe 1-3 images so we can get a good grasp of the ones you really want looked at and it's easier to take the time to give them a good lookover.

I definitely enjoyed viewing these images, for obvious reasons, and don't have much to criticize. Definitely be careful with the highlights... some of them where she has the jacket on or direct sunlight are blown quite badly and distracting. I'm not digging the extra contrast and/or "clarity" put into number 5 and a couple of the others. In the harsh sunlight ones her eyes are very dark, which can work sometimes... but when I get to see her eyes in others I feel like those are missing something.

I don't find the wide angle ones that distracting. She looks a little cockeyed in some of them, but I find it interesting.

Nicely done for the most part. She's beautiful and you did a nice job portraying that.

9. drdrew

drdrew

Dec 28, 2007
    missouri
    1 and 30 for this viewer!

10. Well... for me, I like - 1, 16(with complete foot if you can), 19 and 30.

I like to use Wides and distort my subjects a little bit. I am not sure if you intentionally did yours like that. ex, 2 - skinny legs, elongated face.

Well done!

11. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    As was said, it's hard to critique with so many images posted. Having said that, I like where you were going with #1, but I think your model is too far down in brush. I also really like the gritty look and feel of #7, but I think the downward angle is too extreme - I would like to see the lens more in line with the model's eyes. I love your model - she has an earthy look about her.

12. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    Thanks guys, thanks for the responses. I wont post as many pics next time. I just couldn't help it! Any more comments would be great!

Jon

13. ishutter

ishutter

Aug 14, 2007
    canada
    Great looking model and some awesome shots. My only comment would be that all the pics seem a bit soft. Not sure if it's the actual image or some sharpness was lost from the compression on upload.

14. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    some of it was compression, I am also having some serious problem not having a split focusing screen, I have my eye on a Katz eye and I think I will go with it, mostly because I only have on AF lens that I use mostly, all of my others are good ol ai and ai-s lenses.
    Thanks for the comments,

Jon

15. Very nice series, but way too many photos for an in depth critique. What I did notice (on most of the headshots) is that the focus on her eyes is very soft in many photos - 7, 8, 10, 17 and 29. In #10 it looks like the focus is on her lips.

16. bonnerkopf

bonnerkopf

Nov 16, 2007
    canada
    Could you please post a few more samples

17. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    what would you like to see, I have a new set I will post after I decide which image I am going to end up using for the challenge here, My next set will be very interesting, I went ahead and got the Matte B screen for the D2x and Will soon be buying the Katz split for it. Thanks for the comments, they do mean a lot to me guys.

Jon