Ken Rockwell is funny.

From time to time I will visit his website and find useful information and I admire him for what he does but when he writes crap like this it makes me think he is half-wit, this is his recent quote

" As a Mac user I refuse to put Microsoft products on my computer, even if they were free, because they are buggy and crash my machine. As a professional I have zero tolerance for computer downtime, so I won't touch programs like MS Office or Nikon's Capture since they can screw up my machine, even when not running them."

Now I know that my refrigerator is making my computer crash while it's making ice or maybe it happens because I flush my toilet.:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I find KR annoying, but I do share his opinion about MS. Not a day goes by that Windows doesn't annoy me fro one reason or another. MS software is buggy. I now use OpenOffice instead of MS Office. I'm hoping to get a MacBook Pro to replace my Windows laptop, but the built-in camera is currently standing in my way of that.

" As a Mac user I refuse to put Microsoft products on my computer, even if they were free, because they are buggy and crash my machine. As a professional I have zero tolerance for computer downtime, so I won't touch programs like MS Office or Nikon's Capture since they can screw up my machine, even when not running them."

Nikon Capture has never casued a problem on my Mac

or my PC.:smile:

You're lucky. Many NC users found that one of the 4.x updates would cause a blue-screen on certain AMD-based systems just from trying to install it. Totally inexcusable, shows a pretty shocking lack of quality control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Not sure why this would be the cause of MS? As for Nikon capture it is a very bad applicaiton I agree there.

You lucky. Many NC users found that one of the 4.x updates would cause a blue-screen on certain AMD-based systems just from trying to install it. Totally inexcusable, shows a pretty shocking lack of quality control.

Not sure why this would be the cause of MS? As for Nikon capture it is a very bad applicaiton I agree there.

I didn't say it was MS's fault, although IMHO they share some of the blame since user-mode software should never be able to cause a blue screen. But I definitely blame Nikon for letting such a glaring bug get out the door.

I find KR annoying, but I do share his opinion about MS. Not a day goes by that Windows doesn't annoy me fro one reason or another. MS software is buggy. I now use OpenOffice instead of MS Office. I'm hoping to get a MacBook Pro to replace my Windows laptop, but the built-in camera is currently standing in my way of that.

The built in camera on the MBP is standing in your way?

Adrien

J

jeremyInMT

I didn't say it was MS's fault, although IMHO they share some of the blame since user-mode software should never be able to cause a blue screen. But I definitely blame Nikon for letting such a glaring bug get out the door.

This was a three-way mess up really, wasn't it? AMD's execution flag on the processor, MS OS, and NC as well? The trifecta!

Do people still get blue screens these days? I haven't had one since Win98 and I try out lots of software. Sometimes they crash but have never taken out Win2000Pro (my favourite) or XPPro to a blue screen. I've always been able to get an orderly shutdown with task manager.

J

jeremyInMT

I only get bluescreens when I push the clocks too far or the latency too short. :biggrin:

I know it has a built in webcam, but I don't see how that's a problem I guess.
Think in terms of companies and agencies where security is paramount (like in the defense industry). I have to go thru 2 secure entrances to get to my desk. No cameras allowed, period!

I think he needs to stop taking those drugs, I've been running Windows 2000pro since 1999 I think, I have one machine that is never ever crashed in all that time and only time my machine has ever had any problems is with hardware failure (and that can happen to any PC/mac) so for me my Microsoft products have worked extremely well and shall continue using Windows 2000pro and Office 2000pro even nikon capture doesn't crashed my machine and run's reasonably fast ? .

Phillip.

Think in terms of companies and agencies where security is paramount (like in the defense industry). I have to go thru 2 secure entrances to get to my desk. No cameras allowed, period!

That's one heck of a unique situation! Never even thought about that, heh! Well...you could get one and just keep it at home! :)

Adrien

Real Name
William Beem

My employer (defense industry) was like that up until a couple of months ago. They issued me a candy-bar cell phone for business and I left my cell in the car because it had a camera. However, they did away with that rule for the entire campus a few months ago, and the restriction is now only for some secure areas.

To be honest, I'd be happy to get a decent phone without one of those crappy little cameras on it. I wish the same were true for more people. Some fool in front of me on the Interstate was driving way too slow in the left lane. Turned out it was because he was trying to use his cell phone to get a picture of a Maserati driving next to him in the center lane.

This is why I don't own a gun. I'd be too tempted to use it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom