Ken Rockwell Patents ‘Smart Cropping’ Camera Software for Zooms

Years ago I had his site as a favorite. This went on a year or so until I, IMHO, realized that whatever he reviewed was the best ever made. I felt that if a company wanted a great review they sent him their product. This being my opinion that everything isn't perfect, I stoped going to his site.

Real Name
Dan
I have to think he's banking on selling the intellectual patent to one of the manufacturers. Otherwise the only way it can be implemented is to hack the camera firmware. Personally it sounds like an idea whose time will never come. Based on my track record of investing that probably means he'll get rich off it.

...I, IMHO, realized that whatever he reviewed was the best ever made...
Also anyone who does things differently than him is a moron. I think my last visit was when he said how stupid it was to shoot RAW and jpeg was the only way to go.

JLH

In my college professor days I taught a business class on internet research. Yes, we all know how to use a search engine...to a point. My students were often amazed at how I could fine better results they could. Part of the class involved doing background work on the information provider. Were they knowledgeable, did they have an agenda or bias that slanted their views, etc. One of the areas where one needs to pay attention is when reading product reviews on the internet. As many here have seen KR does have a tendency to be overly positive on some items. But then I bet we all can also recall reviewers who trash things we know are actually good products. I have read many reviews done by KR. In doing so with a critical eye I have learned to look through the surface of what he says and "translate" his comments. Its clear that he has some personal biases and that he has been known to overly hype some of his favorite items. But, if one reads between the lines you can sift out a lot of good information from a lot of things he has written. The man does know a lot, the reader just has to be able to sort through the information at times to get to the bottom of things. It is fun, and I can point to specific examples (and I bet you can to) where where he will trash a certain item in one article and another time will speak favorable about the same item in another piece.
I don't mind reading Ken's stuff, there is a lot of knowledge and history posted by him. Do I follow all his recommendations? Well, no, and neither should you. I always like to read several reviews by various "experts" before drawing any conclusions. Of course there are some reviewers on "youtubers" and such that I only look at when I want a laugh. I bet you know who they are also.

• Agree
Reactions: McQ
I rarely think of him as I no longer look at his website. I do believe that it can be difficult for his readers to seperate his BS from fact.
Perhaps the best advice for anyone looking at his site actually comes from the man himself.
This website is a work of fiction, entirely the product of my own imagination and personal opinion. To use words of Ansel Adams on page 193 of his autobiography, this site is my "aggressive personal opinion," and not a "logical presentation of fact.".....
I neveI occasionally weave fiction and satire into my stories to keep them interesting. I love a good hoax. Read The Museum of Hoaxes, or see their site. A hoax, like some of the things I do on this website, is done as a goof simply for the heck of it by overactive minds as a practical joke. Even Ansel Adams kidded around when he was just a pup in the 1920s by selling his photos as "Parmelian Prints." I have the energy and sense of humor of a three-year old, so remember, this is a personal website, and never presented as fact. I enjoy making things up for fun, as does The Onion, and I publish them here — even on this page.
...never intended it this way, but search engines found this personal information, and I've become the world's largest and most influential independent source of photography information. Even the world's largest printed photography magazine has less readership than this website....
https://www.kenrockwell.com/about.htm

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
... I have learned to look through the surface of what he says and "translate" his comments....if one reads between the lines you can sift out a lot of good information...
As opposed to simply visiting the sites that provide objective test data?
...I can point to specific examples (and I bet you can to) where where he will trash a certain item in one article and another time will speak favorable about the same item in another piece...
By my world view that sort of inconsistency destroys a persons credibility. But judging by the size of KR's following I am clearly out of touch with today's go go internet society.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
This is my favourite page of his:
https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-afford-anything.htm

He explains why he is so rich and clever, unlike the rest of us! His advice has dozens of valuable tips:

"Go Dutch - This isn't the way to win favor among women, but it is a way to save money."

"Marrying smart means to marry someone as cheap as you are."

"Return What You Don't Want or Don't Need - I return what I don't need. It's always a little embarrassing, since stores don't want to take your returns and most people are too shy to admit they screwed up. I've returned a $50,000 BMW after 9 months for full price, and my wife, the "Return Queen," not to be out done by an amateur like me, once returned a $2.8 million dollar house."

What a load of BS -- embarrassing for the USPTO if they actually granted this.
Point and shoots and cell phones have been doing this for years.
Get to the end of the optical zoom and digital takes over. Duh.

In my college professor days I taught a business class on internet research. Yes, we all know how to use a search engine...to a point. My students were often amazed at how I could fine better results they could. Part of the class involved doing background work on the information provider. Were they knowledgeable, did they have an agenda or bias that slanted their views, etc. One of the areas where one needs to pay attention is when reading product reviews on the internet. As many here have seen KR does have a tendency to be overly positive on some items. But then I bet we all can also recall reviewers who trash things we know are actually good products. I have read many reviews done by KR. In doing so with a critical eye I have learned to look through the surface of what he says and "translate" his comments. Its clear that he has some personal biases and that he has been known to overly hype some of his favorite items. But, if one reads between the lines you can sift out a lot of good information from a lot of things he has written. The man does know a lot, the reader just has to be able to sort through the information at times to get to the bottom of things. It is fun, and I can point to specific examples (and I bet you can to) where where he will trash a certain item in one article and another time will speak favorable about the same item in another piece.
I don't mind reading Ken's stuff, there is a lot of knowledge and history posted by him. Do I follow all his recommendations? Well, no, and neither should you. I always like to read several reviews by various "experts" before drawing any conclusions. Of course there are some reviewers on "youtubers" and such that I only look at when I want a laugh. I bet you know who they are also.
I used him as an example of how to obfuscate the facts with non-essential trivia, thereby lowering the value of his work, and skirting science. YMMV.

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn

Agreed. You and Nigel make good points.

People need to not get all riled up here every time his name is brought up.

Relax folks, and smile more! And take KR with a few grains of salt.
And please move on!
:)

JLH

As opposed to simply visiting the sites that provide objective test data?

By my world view that sort of inconsistency destroys a persons credibility. But judging by the size of KR's following I am clearly out of touch with today's go go internet society.
You have to understand, some of us read for fun. As a teacher I read a LOT of different things, some boring , some exciting, some educational and some just stupid. It was fun sorting them out and learning how to tell the BS from the good stuff. In the military I did intelligence work, something my test scores and evaluators thought I was good at. To me its all like solving a puzzle. Its great mental exorcise and entertaining.
Don't take me or KR too seriously. That said, I always tell the facts as I know them, ask questions if I am uncertain and never try to mislead or "play" with people. Oh, and I did have a serious job but retired so now I have more time to indulge myself in my lifelong hobby.

Latest threads

Top Bottom