1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ken Rockwell's D700 Guide is up

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by smodak, Aug 25, 2008.

1. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
  2. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    Seems like a summary of the user manual as with most guides. Also reads like its written for a beginner although I don't think that many D700 owners will be that "green".

3. Dawgneck

Dawgneck

Apr 25, 2007
    So Cal
    Ditto....

Especially applicable to his D3 guide, which was also released.

4. You would be surprised at how many folks are buying the D700 as their first DSLR. Just like all the folks on here asking how to do this and that with their brand new D300 that they just bought as a transition from a kodak easyshare.

5. 1FASTZ

1FASTZ

Jan 25, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Probably a lot of Canon folks buying the D700 too :eek: 

6. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    I was disappointed. Not very thorough at all.

7. SWLD

SWLD

Feb 10, 2008
    GB
    On this page - http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d700/af-settings.htm - he says this:

AF Sensor Selector (rear top)
    On the back, the top AF Sensor Selector selects among the many AF sensors, if you want to.

Which switch on the D700 is he referring to?

8. dwind

dwind Guest

The selector which is the top switch allows you to control which of the 51 sensors to use for AF. I use it all the time.

9. SWLD

SWLD

Feb 10, 2008
    GB
    Ah, I didn't realise he was renaming the Multi Selector as the AF Sensor Selector. For a second there I thought he was talking about another switch!

He seems to prefer Auto Area AF to Single Point AF for most situations - is he right? (I've never tried Auto Area AF).

10. He wasn't talking about the multi-selector. He was talking about the 3-position AF mode switch, top position.

11. dwind

dwind Guest

In the above he was talking about the top switch selecting which sensor.
    The bottom switch is the mode switch.

From the web site:

AF Sensor Selector (rear top)

On the back, the top AF Sensor Selector selects among the many AF sensors, if you want to.

AF Sensor Mode Switch (rear bottom)

The lower rear switch is the AF Sensor Mode Switch. It chooses how the camera uses all, few or one, of the many AF sensors.

12. SWLD

SWLD

Feb 10, 2008
    GB
    He was talking about the multi selector - his caption in the first pic here calls it the 'AF SENSOR SELECTOR' http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d700/af-settings.htm

13. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    Why buy a $3k camera and basically shoot auto on JPEG med? I'm sorry but that guy has no clue.

14. Longshanks

Longshanks

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands

He doesn't care about 3k, look what he does to a D3.
    D3R_4606-left-950.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Actualy I quite enjoy his reviews, he gives tons off usable info so I forgive him his shooting methods.

15. demosaic

demosaic Guest

Plenty of pros do. What does price have to do with it?

16. I am sure that Thom Hogan (who is very much respected in the Nikon community) will soon issue a guide to the D700.....and based on my experience with his earlier guides, I'd venture to guess that his would be one worth the money!

17. If you need one before then, you could just buy a D300 guide, and ignore the "3" since they're pretty much identical with menus and options.

18. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Maybe this is obvius to you, but if not, Ken did not cut open that lens. He just took the photo, possibly at a photo exhibition. They are impressive. They sometimes do that with space rockets too. :smile:

19. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

How do you do that? Everytime I take an axe to a camera, the lens just shatters :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.