Ken Rockwell's D700 Guide is up

Seems like a summary of the user manual as with most guides. Also reads like its written for a beginner although I don't think that many D700 owners will be that "green".

Seems like a summary of the user manual as with most guides. Also reads like its written for a beginner although I don't think that many D700 owners will be that "green".

Ditto....

Especially applicable to his D3 guide, which was also released.

Rockingham, NC (Currently in Afghanistan)

You would be surprised at how many folks are buying the D700 as their first DSLR. Just like all the folks on here asking how to do this and that with their brand new D300 that they just bought as a transition from a kodak easyshare.

I was disappointed. Not very thorough at all.

D

dwind

The selector which is the top switch allows you to control which of the 51 sensors to use for AF. I use it all the time.

The selector which is the top switch allows you to control which of the 51 sensors to use for AF. I use it all the time.

Ah, I didn't realise he was renaming the Multi Selector as the AF Sensor Selector. For a second there I thought he was talking about another switch!

He seems to prefer Auto Area AF to Single Point AF for most situations - is he right? (I've never tried Auto Area AF).

Ah, I didn't realise he was renaming the Multi Selector as the AF Sensor Selector. For a second there I thought he was talking about another switch!

He seems to prefer Auto Area AF to Single Point AF for most situations - is he right? (I've never tried Auto Area AF).

He wasn't talking about the multi-selector. He was talking about the 3-position AF mode switch, top position.

D

dwind

In the above he was talking about the top switch selecting which sensor.
The bottom switch is the mode switch.

From the web site:

AF Sensor Selector (rear top)

On the back, the top AF Sensor Selector selects among the many AF sensors, if you want to.

AF Sensor Mode Switch (rear bottom)

The lower rear switch is the AF Sensor Mode Switch. It chooses how the camera uses all, few or one, of the many AF sensors.

Why buy a $3k camera and basically shoot auto on JPEG med? I'm sorry but that guy has no clue.

He doesn't care about 3k, look what he does to a D3.
D3R_4606-left-950.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Actualy I quite enjoy his reviews, he gives tons off usable info so I forgive him his shooting methods.

I am sure that Thom Hogan (who is very much respected in the Nikon community) will soon issue a guide to the D700.....and based on my experience with his earlier guides, I'd venture to guess that his would be one worth the money!

If you need one before then, you could just buy a D300 guide, and ignore the "3" since they're pretty much identical with menus and options.

Real Name
Leif
He doesn't care about 3k, look what he does to a D3.
D3R_4606-left-950.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Maybe this is obvius to you, but if not, Ken did not cut open that lens. He just took the photo, possibly at a photo exhibition. They are impressive. They sometimes do that with space rockets too. :smile:

A

adrianaitken

How do you do that? Everytime I take an axe to a camera, the lens just shatters :biggrin:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom