Kenilworth Castle

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Retief, Dec 11, 2005.

1. This castle is in the city of Kenilworth, near Coventry, England. Having seen it, but not done any photography here, last summer I knew I would have to take a closer look. As you can see, this has been inhabited for quite a long time. Now, I don't generally do buildings, landscapes and such, so please excuse any major screw-ups, but also please point out how to do this better. I will be updating once I get home and have all my tools available to straighten lines, horizons, etc..

D2H, 18-70 Kit Lens

So, here are a few from Kenilworth Castle.

The Castle, I left the people in for a feeling of scale, good idea or bad?
    DSC3877.sized.

19th Century Graffiti, not a new concept:
    DSC3895.sized.

A Dreary, Dull, British Winter Day :wink:
    DSC3929.sized.

Going up to the Battlements, 1 sec exposure, hand-held:
    DSC3935.sized.

View from the Battlement:
    DSC3939.sized.

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Nice shots. I would prefer #1 without the people.

3. That place would be a great place to shoot in better late (early morning or later in the afternoon) and with a tripod.

4. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

I like the light ray comming thru the door and I also like the people in the foreground of the castle for scale.There are several spots on your sensor or mirror you may wish to clean or clone out as you see fit.You can see them in the sky of the first pic.

5. #4 is great, really atmospheric.

6. All nice, #4 is my favorite.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Bill...I really like old castles and can't wait to see more pictures of this one. Please post when you have them put onto your website so we can have another look at rest of them.

9. Hi i like the 4th one alot. The first one shows alot of dust in the photo. So maybe some cleaning is needed in your camera. Else you can use photoshop to clone out the dust spots. The first one i also feel that without the people and little bit more unsharp mask would give a better result.

The last one feels for me a bit unsharp to. The rest are very nice photo's with the 4th photo with the light beam standing out.

Thanks for sharing

10. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Bill, I'd have to vote for keeping the people in the first one -- their presence really emphasizes the scale. How could anyone not like number 4? So far, it appears that I'm alone in liking the last one -- not so much as it is, but for its potential. Just increasing the brightness and saturation a litlle makes it into a totally different image.

11. I have some both ways, once I am home with my "real" tools I'll put a couple together and up and see what folks think. Hopefully I can straighten some lines and horizons then as well :wink:

Thanks....

12. You've got THAT right, and, of course, having the sun show was a plus. Much earlier would not have worked at all, quite a foggy morning. Given that I am on a business trip, tripod and such were not an option, but this gives me an excuse for another "fun" trip some time :wink:

I have to say, for those who have never been, this stuff is pretty amazing. Being a "shoot it if it moves" person, this is really quite different for me as well, but the history really gets to you....

13. Hey, PixelPete, much appreciated. Yeah, I see those spots, but I think they must be on your monitor, yeah right :redface: , a bit of work to do when I get home. That is what I get for not shooting at f2.8, eh? :wink:

I really liked the light through the door as well. I could have upped ISO, or opened the aperture, but I liked the mood as it was and I wanted some DOF so I leaned up against the wall and held as steady as I could. Good news is the Pubs were not open yet so I could be somewhat steady, but a tripod would have been better. I saw that, and while way out of character for me, it just grabbed me and I had to give it a try. A bit of work and I might really like it :smile:

Interesting that I now have 1 for and 1 against the people, glad I took a few different ones, and this points out what I love about this, we all see things a bit differently, eh?

Thanks again....

14. But, but, Dewey Doesn't Do Artsy Bits So how can this be any good????? :wink:

Thanks to many folks around here for giving me the impeturs and courage to push out, and for not laughing at me when I do.

Thanks, means a lot to me....

15. Thanks, Gordon, much appreciated. This was such a departure for me, but it just felt "cool". I think this is what Doug Barber meant when he told me to just slow down and look. I'd be happier if it were sharper, maybe, but then again, I kind of like the "soft"...

I'll be quite interested to hear your comments.

Thanks,

16. Thanks, Melissa, I'd like any suggestions you have on post-process for some of these, such as #4, also. I will get more up in a week or so as well as some from Warwick Castle. Much different as it was still occupied into the early 1940's I believe. Quite interesting, I think you would enjoy them.

17. You too, going to rag on me about the dust, and do it in PUBLIC no less :eek: . Yeah, time to take out the Dremel tool and polish up the sensor....and before anyone gets concerned, that's a joke, just a JOKE SON!!!! :wink:

Thanks for the comments, while I like #4 a lot as well, I am really thrilled that others feel that was as well. It is awfully encouraging when I step out of my "comfort zone" and have something work.

Thanks.....

18. Thanks, Bob, I love to hear comments, even the ones that suggest I didn't quite get it "right". It will be interesting to see what can be done with the last, watch for the series of those as well as the "after" when I am back with all my "real" tools.

I am just sitting here grinning with all the kind words for #4, makes my day, thank you all.....