Kenko 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300 DG Teleconverter for Nikon 80-200 AF-D 2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by grt_napa, May 18, 2007.

1. I was just about to pull the trigger and order a Kenko Teleconverter when I encountered a comment on NikonCafe that cautioned against using teleconverters with zoom lenses. I have never used a teleconverter so any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I use my 1.4 Kenko TC with the 18-70 lens and it works great.

3. Gordon,

Back when I had that very lens I used that very same tele-converter with excellant results.

Look in the Nikkor Lens brochure on the page with all the lens specs. You will see which ones they recommend.

There are a ton of folks on here that use them on their 70-200mm along with other ones to. I would be curious to know what the caution is.

Go for it. Have fun.

George.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I use the Kenko Pro 300 with....24-120 VR, 80-400 VR and the 70-300 VR..300 F4
    Most of my wildlife images are with the 80--400 vr and that tc.

Have a look

Those that have negitive comments are either user error or a bad tc
    Mostly user error

5. Thank you for your comments. I have gone ahead and ordered the Kenko Pro 300. Have a great weekend!

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great shootin to ya
    Now practice and learn to use it

7. I use the Tamron SP AF Pro 1.4 teleconverter (same as the Kenko 300) with my 80-200 (two ring) all the time. All of the pictures in my zoo cats gallery were taken with this combo. It works great!

8. Teleconverters produce the best images with the high quality prime and zoom lenses (even better if they are matched). That being said, it is possible to get very good images from other combinations if you have a high quality tc (preferably 1.4 or 1.7) and know your lenses well and how they behave. Another factor is the end result and your expectations. TC's used with lower quality, variable f-stop zooms will generally not yield images suitable for large prints that need to be critically sharp (by professional standards). That isn't due to user error; its the optical nature of these combos. If you're producing smaller prints and web images you can get by. Again, it depends upon your requirements. Sometimes getting the shot is better than not...you use what you have to. Your lens is an f2.8 zoom of exceptional quality, and you can expect very good to excellent results with a quality 1.4x tc and good technique. You absolutely can use "not recommended" combinations; just don't expect the same optical performance that you'd get from a 300 f2.8 AFS + tc14e.

9. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    I'll be ordering one as well.

Question, anyone ordered from Hong Kong? The big auction site has them for almost 1/2 the price.

10. Amir. Could you point us to the Hong Kong Auction Site? Thanks!

11. FYI. I ordered my Kenko Pro 1.4 from kea-photo (Hong Kong) on Ebay for $135 shipped. Sounded good until Amir mentioned the "auction site". With my best,

12. Ordered a Kenko Pro 1.4 on Ebay for $135 shipped. Seemed like a great deal until Amir highlighted the deals to be had at the Hong Kong Auction site.

13. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    I'm sorry, I was talking about the ebay.

B&H and Adorama are low $200 shipped.

I wish I knew a place I could get it cheaper. :smile:

14. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    to the people here that posed that they use the TC with a wide angle, that is a bad idea. The rear element on wide angles goes farther back and can break the TC glass and your lens

15. Shooter

Shooter

May 7, 2007
    New York
    Do they sell lenses at the auction site or just teleconverters?

16. Guest-002

Guest-002 Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Be careful. Several years ago I purchased my first Kenko 300 1.4TC off KEH and it did not work with my 80-400. Luckily, KEH has an excellent return policy. I then ordered a new Kenko off B&H and that one is still in my bag.