1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Kenko DG Pro vs a Nikon TC14II

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TerribleTwins, May 28, 2007.

1. Does any body have any thoughts / comments / experience if the above are equivalent in performance? Thinking of getting a 70-200VR plus a converter & was wondering if the Nikon is worth the extra 200$.

Thanks

2. Brian-S

Brian-S

Feb 10, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    you can get a used tc-14 for the same price as a new kenko, that's what i did and i like the combo with my 70-200 vr. thinking about getting a tc20e as well.

Brian

3. Hi David.

I am using a Nikon AF-S 2.8/80-200 mm with a TC-14e II. The image quality is really impressive, even fully opened. Yet better at f/4.5 and above.

Before I bought the (used) TC, I tried a Kenko Pro 300 DG Converter, a 1.4x too. The results were really disappointing, so I returned it to the shop.

Based on my experience, I recommend to go for the origininal TC-14 (Version I or II doesn't matter). As Brian said, a new Kenko is not cheaper than a used original.

Regards,

Mattes

4. Hi David...

I use a Kenko 1.4x PRO300 TC on my 80-200 f/2.8 and get great results, but then I have to use this as the Nikon only works on AF-S lenses... What I'm trying to say is that the Kenko works well if you don't want to spend the extra and decide on the Kenko, but the Nikon has some advantages, like giving you the correct FL and aperture in the EXIF, as the Kenko will only show the data of the lens and not the 2 combined. Plus Nikon have the 1.7x TC which is handy for that little extra reach over the 1.4x... But after using the Kenko, I don't think that I would spend the extra on the Nikon, but thats just me....:rolleyes: 

This is a sample of the Kenko 1.4x on a 80-200 shot at 200mm (280mm inc Kenko), wide open at f/2.8 (f/4 with Kenko).
    Original photo shot in jpg (fine x med res, forgot to change it from previous day DUH...), has had a little USM and resized for the net, thats all...
    517611868_f3847a70ea_b.

5. Wally,
    Love the photo......

Brian, Mattes
    Thanks for the advice... will keep my eyes open for a used TC14.

6. Brian-S

Brian-S

Feb 10, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Wally, no complaints about that photo. The kenko works great with your 80-200/2.8!

Brian

7. Thanks Brian, I have to say that I have been extremely happy with the Kenko 1.4x PRO300 with the IQ it produces but the only thing I miss, is it not giving the full EXIF data on the photos.... But I can live with that....:smile:

And thanks also Brian-S, seeing that I couldn't use the Nikon TC with the 80-200, I was very happy with the results that I have been getting with the Kenko 1.4x. I see that you are interested in the Nikon 2x TC. I have seen mixed reports and photos on this TC from really sharp photos to really soft... But anything is worth a try...

I posted some more photos here, but more important to both Brian's, there is a link to a chart at Nikonians site to show all the TC compatibilities as well as a link to Nikon site.

This is the link to the post.....
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=116669

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.