1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Kenko TC vs Tamron TC

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Bob Mohr, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Bob Mohr

Bob Mohr

Oct 20, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I can purchase a Tamron 1.4 TC SP locally, but not the Kenko Pro 300
    1.4x TC. I know they are made by the same company, but is one better than the other? How about the 2X? They will be used on a Nikon 300 2.8 AFS-D.

2. I have the Kenko Pro 1.4x TC and not the Tamron. However, from all the research I did, I think I found that they were equal for all practical purposes. I ended up buying the Kenko because that is what I won on eBay. FYI, I also bid on Tammy 1.4x TCs, but did not win them.

Good luck.

3. Bob:

I have the Kenko Pro 300 1.4 that I used to mount onto my 80-400 VR. Like MAJI, all my research on the forum indicated they were of equal quality. Is there a reason you're not considering the Nikon 1.4? I use both the Nikon 1.4 and 1.7 on my 300 2.8, and have great results. I've never mounted the Kenko on the 300 2.8 - not sure why, just never have.

4. Bob Mohr

Bob Mohr

Oct 20, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Mike,
    I unknowingly bought a 300 f/2.8 AF-S D that had the f/stop ring modified. It was not until a little over month later that I found my nikkor 1.4 TC 14E II and TC20E II gave me a FEE error message with my D300. Strange, but the combo works with my D50.
    I sent the lens, TC, and camera to Nikon via my local dealer, but Nikon refuses to fix it.
    The original seller of the lens says it worked with her kenko. Now I have to either sell my Nikkor TC's or use a lesser camera. No sympathy from the seller. Buyer beware. What a mess...

5. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    I though Tokina made Kenko ?

6. Bob - sent you a PM about Kenko 1.4

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I seem to recall hearing that the Tamron and Kenko were not just equal, but the same. In other words either Tamron made the TC's for Kenko or vice-versa. I can't say for certain that's true but agree with all the others that everything I've heard indicates the performance is the same.

8. Kenko makes them for Tamron - The Kenko Pro 300 Series TCs are the same as the Tamron SP series TCs. Shop price.

9. Bob Mohr

Bob Mohr

Oct 20, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks all for the info. I'll be selling my Nikkor TC's.
    Answered Wind Walker.

10. I use my Pro 300 with my 300 2.8 af-s v1 with superb results. Don't be afraid of it.

American Flag hung over center of lake several hundred yards from my position. Note the stitching and texture of closth on the flapping flag:

[​IMG]

Brick town hall shot from top of mountain two miles or more away (I've included this full size, so you can click on it sequentially to get the full size print for pixel-peeping):

original.
    NIKON D50    ---    600mm    f/8.0    1/640s    ISO 400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.