Kenmore Heronry - I love sunshine ....Critique Please

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, May 28, 2005.

1. The last several times I have stopped by to see the GBH chicks it has been very overcast. Well, this week we have unusual weather here in Washington, bright and about 90 F.

I am expecting that any day now I will stop by and the chicks will be gone. They are about as big as the adults now and are flexing their wings quite vigorously. I'll post a whole sequence of one of the chicks doing that tomorrow.

I have not been thrilled with my post-process of late, and I would appreciate comments on that with these images. Especially the last 2 flight shots. I post-processed them slightly differently.

The first two shots are of the adult feeding the chicks.

The Landing:
    DSC7982.sized.

The Feeding - notice how the eye of the adult has now been covered for protection:
    DSC7986.sized.

Flight #1 - look at the "stuff" hanging from the bird. I'm not sure if it is fishing line or something, but it has fallen off by the second shot:
    DSC8039.sized.

Flight #2:
    DSC8040.sized.

Thanks!

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Wow, getting crowded up there, ain't it?

I think they look pretty darn good to me, if a little bit too contrasty. Maybe try to pull just a teensy bit of detail out of those shadows. Would also suggest stopping down that lens whenever possible. Few lenses are at their best when wide open. For flight shots, I can understand keeping it wide open to maintain shutter speed, but these nest shots sure don't require a wide open aperture, do they?

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bill,

I agree with Steve that more DOF would have helped the nest shots, but in spite of this, these are pretty decent captures, especially the flight shots.

I am so jealous of your shooting opportunities. Hopefully, we'll get some like this next week. 8)

4. Hi Bill

These look much better then the ones I looked at on your notebook. I think they are a titch contrasty - have you tried a small shadow/highlight or D-Lighting adjustment? Shooting in the bright sunlight is tough.

Rory